Author Topic: Connection To Storage Server Failed  (Read 35698 times)

Offline sachinkumbharjsp

Connection To Storage Server Failed
« on: August 12, 2012, 08:01:35 AM »
Hi everybody,

i had installed roundcube on my website. After installation i got following message.

Check config files
    main.inc.php:  OK
    db.inc.php:  OK

Check if directories are writable
    temp/:  OK
    logs/:  OK

Check DB config
    DSN (write):  OK
    DB Schema:  OK
    DB Write:  OK
    DB Time:  OK

Trying to send email...
    SMTP send:  OK

IMAP connect:  OK(SORT capability: no)

But after login i got following message
    Connection to storage server failed.

Plz. Help

Offline DaveT

Re: Connection To Storage Server Failed
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 10:03:21 PM »
I have the same issue.  I suspect there are some database settings that I may have missed?  Or ...?

Thanks

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 02:40:37 AM »
do you mean you get the error "connection to storage server failed" after trying to login to the normal interface or during the final step of the installer. have you checked if there is any more detail in the roundcube error log?
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and moreā€¦

Offline coder88

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 10:57:04 AM »
Same issue here! 
I just used Softaculous to install RoundCube 0.8.1 onto an add-on domain on my hosted server space. Install seemed to go well, I can go to the Roundcube login screen but when I attempt to login with a valid username and password (confirmed as valid because I can access my email using Thunderbird email client) I get an error beneath the login form that says 'Connection to Storage Server Failed.'  I very much would like to get Roundcube working, any help appreciated.  I have tried my username as foobar and also foobar@mydomain but neither username works; and yes i checked for my caps lock being off.  I am dead in the water, have no clue what to do now.

Offline coder88

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 12:42:47 PM »
do you mean you get the error "connection to storage server failed" after trying to login to the normal interface... have you checked if there is any more detail in the roundcube error log?

Here is the error log i have after trying to loging from the normal webform login interface (after fresh install using Softaculous installer):

[06-Oct-2012 10:23:23 -0400]: IMAP Error: Login failed for {myusername} from 97.92.5.168. Could not connect to ssl://imap.site.com:993: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known in /path/to/roundcubemail/program/include/rcube_imap.php on line 191 (POST /roundcubemail/?_task=login&_action=login)

I do not have an SSL certificate on my hosted website space yet, could this be part of the problem some of us are having with this issue? Does roundcube require a site have SSL? Does the error log message give any clues as to what is going on?

Offline coder88

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 04:40:03 PM »
Same issue here!  ...

SOLVED.

Short answer: I edited mydomain/pathtoroundcube/config/main.inc.php and changed
$rcmail_config['default_host'] = 'ssl://imap.site.com';
     to
$rcmail_config['default_host'] = 'mail.mydomain.com';
In fact, if you find the above code in main.inc.php there is a nice explanation of options for it just above the code, makes sense.

This is a website how-to for installing Roundcube that gave me the idea to do the fix just explained:
https://my.hostmonster.com/cgi/help/265

So now I can login to my Roundcube mail (0.8 version), :) but it looks like a different GUI skin :( than the one i had seen when using my host service Roundcube email viewer which I am guessing is a 0.7 version. I really do NOT care for this new skin, I want that old skin back that was kind of all silver-white, not this new skin that has blues and is a waste of screen space. Update-- I found the User Interface settings in the new 0.8 roundcube GUI and was able to change the skin from the new default Larry to Classic, looks nice now with Classic. An aesthetic choice, no doubt some people will like Larry.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 04:43:09 PM by coder88 »

Offline dracuella

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 07:50:28 AM »
Here I am, 3 years later with the exact same problem and your answer solved it for me, coder88, so many thanks for that.

Just thought I'd add that for Roundcube version 1.1.1 the file in question is:
- my_domain/path_to_roundcube/config/config.inc.php

The entry you need to change is:
$config['default_host'] = 'ssl://imap.mydomain.com';
  to
$config['default_host'] = 'mail.mydomain.com';

Offline TheBearAk

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 07:10:52 PM »
I'm going to follow up on this so it is out here.

RoundCube running on new versions of the OS are getting this error if you run the website with SSL and your mail server also uses STARTLS/SSL for IMAP and/or SMTP.

I'll be able to test this, but it appears that they require a real certificate, not a self-signed one.  I'm sure there is a setting somewhere you can set to loosen that requirement up.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 08:01:47 PM »
In the config.inc.php you can set the ssl information:
Code: [Select]
// IMAP socket context options
// See http://php.net/manual/en/context.ssl.php
// The example below enables server certificate validation
//$config['imap_conn_options'] = array(
//  'ssl'         => array(
//     'verify_peer'  => true,
//     'verify_depth' => 3,
//     'cafile'       => '/etc/openssl/certs/ca.crt',
//   ),
// );
$config['imap_conn_options'] = null;

Offline TheBearAk

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 08:53:32 PM »
Has anyone been successful?

I should say, my RoundCube install is on a separate machine from the mail server.    mail server is debian 8.3 running dovecot for imap.   TLS is the only option for both IMAP and SMTP.

I finally got the Roundcube machine to give me this error:

PEM routines:PEM_read_bio:no start line:pem_lib.c:703:Expecting: TRUSTED CERTIFICATE

when trying to verify the certificate.   So this points to what I was saying, it needs to be a trusted certificate on these newer OS's.

We have this up an running on a Debian 7 system just fine.  Debian had RoundCube in the APT repositories for a while, but a recent update removed it.  (developers sited they didn't have time to deal with it).

I've googled just about every way I can think of and can't seem to find an actual answer.

Offline alec

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 02:44:24 AM »
I got an answer. See http://php.net/manual/en/context.ssl.php and allow_self_signed option.

Offline noface0711

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 11:30:34 AM »
I just used Softaculous to install RoundCube 0.8.1 onto an add-on domain on my hosted server space. Install seemed to go well, I can go to the Roundcube login screen but when I attempt to login with a valid username and password (confirmed as valid because I can access my email using Thunderbird email client) I get an error beneath the login form that says 'Connection to Storage Server Failed.'  I very much would like to get Roundcube working, any help appreciated.  I have tried my username as foobar and also foobar@mydomain but neither username works; and yes i checked for my caps lock being off.  I am dead in the water, have no clue what to do now. :)