Author Topic: Mercury mail server and RC  (Read 3814 times)

Offline jeffn

Mercury mail server and RC
« on: September 13, 2012, 04:13:16 PM »
I have David Harris' Mercury mail server running and used to use Squirrel Mail for the Web interface. It worked fine except it wasn't very good with HTML emails. I switched to a different commercial product and it handled the HTML well but was unable to sort by date because the mercury server does not support the SORT IMAP extension.

I see some old refernces in this forum about sorting issues with Mercury but nothing recent. Can someone confirm that RC will sort message by date correctly even if the mail server does not have SORT extension capability?

Thanks.

-jeff

Offline Yoni

• MyRoundcube
Re: Mercury mail server and RC
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 09:09:25 PM »
Jeff,

Sort capabilities is something that is handled by the backend server.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 01:19:11 AM by Yoni »

Offline jeffn

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 09:50:23 PM »
So just confirming then that I would not be able to sort my inbox by date (newest on top). I am just asking because Squirrel Mail can do it with the same backend server. I only care that the newest messages are at the top of the inbox and not randomly placed in 500 other messages like my current system does.

-jeff

Offline Yoni

• MyRoundcube
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 10:24:23 PM »
Jeff, as far as I'm concerned, RoundCube doesn't sort emails; instead it asks the mail server to do it.

How expensive could it be for you to move to a different backend server with sorting capabilities? Have you ever considered this option?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 10:29:03 PM by Yoni »

Offline jeffn

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 10:48:45 PM »
I have considered it. I have 15 years of very good experience with Mercury so I am hesitant to throw it out if there is a solution. Unfortunately, I might not have a choice.

Offline alec

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 02:54:54 AM »
SORT isn't required. If not available, Roundcube will sort using more expensive method by fetching date of all messages and sorting in PHP. If this doesn't work then it's a bug. Enable imap_debug in Roundcube and provide the log.

Offline jeffn

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 09:45:03 PM »
Thanks. I will give it a try.