Author Topic: Basics need clarifying - Where is username and password? (not multiple users)  (Read 2975 times)

Offline mikea

Hello all!

New to roundcube. Experience in other net areas, but roundcube is a mystery at certain points. Rarely do I not understand a whole area of a web-based system. I believe the way roundcube appears highly convoluted through install and at login stage will put a lot of users off.

So hopefully, as well as helping me (although I am not sure this is a system for me as I need email, not a dev project and perhaps I misunderstood at what stage roundcube as self-hosted system is) I think urgent clarification is needed for general users.

I have a reasonable grasp of MySQL, phpmyadmin is a regular thing for me, and php config files clear.

However, I have no idea what the Username and Password are supposed to be on the main login screen after install.

I assumed  they would be my email details. But it appears not. Nor do the db access details (which was the default entry in the field) work.

I can not see any reference to 'Username' in either main.inc.php or db.inc.php. The 'user' table of the database is empty.

I'm guessing this project is not what I thought it was, and I appreciate that is my mistake. However, one of the biggest things that puts users of using open-source systems is when it appears convoluted or overly complicated just to get to stage 1......... (and we all have MS to thank for that!).  Just look a Linux. It was only when the smart folkds realised that easy installs where needed, and then it started getting popular.

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
I believe the way roundcube appears highly convoluted through install and at login stage will put a lot of users off

what do you find highly convoluted about it? did you follow the 6 steps described in the install file?

So hopefully, as well as helping me (although I am not sure this is a system for me as I need email, not a dev project and perhaps I misunderstood at what stage roundcube as self-hosted system is) I think urgent clarification is needed for general users.

I dont understand what you are asking, the current stable release version is 0.8.5.

However, I have no idea what the Username and Password are supposed to be on the main login screen after install.

I assumed  they would be my email details. But it appears not. Nor do the db access details (which was the default entry in the field) work.

you where right the first time, its asking for your imap credentials. try looking in the error log to see if there is any more information about what went wrong.

I can not see any reference to 'Username' in either main.inc.php or db.inc.php. The 'user' table of the database is empty.

the users table will be emtpy when you first start, users will be added automatically (if auto_create_user is set to true in your config, by default it is) as they login. the rc database stores profile information like user's settings and addressbooks.

I'm guessing this project is not what I thought it was, and I appreciate that is my mistake. However, one of the biggest things that puts users of using open-source systems is when it appears convoluted or overly complicated just to get to stage 1......... (and we all have MS to thank for that!).  Just look a Linux. It was only when the smart folkds realised that easy installs where needed, and then it started getting popular.

do you realise you havent said what you think rc is? it is an imap client, like thunderbird or outlook. I think its pritty easy to setup and get running and there are lots of guides around for how to do it for people who want them. you can also search this forum to see lots of setup questions answered.
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and moreā€¦

Offline mikea

I  now see my post was not that clear. I was frustrated at the install and login because I've seen so many open-source projects lose ground due to the necessity for absolute clarity during the install process and initial stages (and I appreciate that is not Roundcubes fault, but what we've all come to expect).

So I appreciate the response. I was confused at first because SSL account details login was not working, but also the way Roundcube has been described and presented led me down the wrong path.

Roundcube is not an email client, not in the sense of Thunderbird and Outlook. I think most people use one of those as either a gateway to multiple accounts, or an email plus collaboration suite, or because their company uses Exchange. So Roundcube is not another option instead. So I had assumed initially one install would allow multiple accounts (as this is the setup most Thunderbird / Outlook users have), therefore it seem possible the login was not the email account.

Gmail is gaining round as an email client because of allowing access to multiple accounts. It was not generally called an email client before enabling multiple account features.

I think the way Roundcube being called an email client does suggest it could replace Thunderbird or Outlook, but it absolutely is not be a replacement, unless the user was a single account, not collaboration, non Exchange user (in my opinion, with Exchange their is no point in anything but Outlook, as it all depends on MS anyway).

« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 02:53:35 AM by mikea »