Author Topic: Size Of Font When Using Text Only  (Read 8199 times)

Offline infowarzs

Size Of Font When Using Text Only
« on: August 17, 2015, 12:05:45 PM »
Hello,
Thank you for this chance to give a request.

The request is in two parts.
Part 1.
Give the client / end user the full ability to enlarge the FONT in the "Compose Box" in text only view. Since the more secured "text" only "Compose" page doesn't have any place to change in the viewing font so we can SEE what we are writting, and font changer would be excellent and more friendly for us users, or user-friendly.

I've been to other forums and they told me to come to this forum, about . . .
Part 2. The following is not a Roundcube "bug !"
     There is some email Provides on the net hosting Roundcube email client, and have installed with A. Custom themes. or B. custom built themes for their installation . . . 
that have damaged the work ability of Roundcube's functioning.

I have many screen shots form openmailbox, and riseup that have some fine "looking" dark themes that have a 6 FONT in the "Compose Box." And I've been building web pages for 14 years and when not using code apps, I use dreamweaver and kompozer to test the size of the FONT.
I also used Word, Open Office, Kingsoft Office and Abiword for building pages and checking the size of font in the custom themes.
So all in all I tested the size 6 FONT with 7 clients and they all came up with a 6 to 6.5 FONT.

The smallest size font size should be at least an 11 Font with a 12 FONT as best all around in Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari, Sea Monkey (IE based) and Maxthon. And it doesn't hurt anyone if that optimal 12 FONT was provided in Android or IP phones and tablets, also.

Also as shown in the screen shots is the fact the the custom themes are destroying the space for the "Compose Box" with a worhless space for a "little" ... "Attach a file" button, which could easily be placed in the BAR above the "Compose" box making TWICE the horizontal space for writing in, when ZOOM is set at 150 to 175 % to get the font from a 6 to a 12 Font.

Again thanks for this forum and Suggestion Topic.

Oh yea.....
the Screen Shots were to large only for this forum, so their over here....
https://forum.myroundcube.com/topic/452-size-of-font-when-using-text-only-secure-email/page__gopid__2539#entry2539

Online SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: Size Of Font When Using Text Only
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 02:10:47 PM »
The font size can be changed in the css files or with a css modify plugin in your browser. It could also be done with a plugin but I don't think it should be part of the Roundcube core.

Offline infowarzs

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 03:50:38 PM »
Thank you SKaero for the very fast reply.

I'd like to do CSS steps..... but I'm ONLY the user / client signed in as a user of an email Provider, both openmailbox, and riseup.

All I can do as a "client" (not the Provider's web page builder) of the email Providers is ZOOM in on a text compose box with my 5 browsers.

I can not do ANY thing with any CSS anything since I am NOT doing the code work on the pages owned by openmailbox and riseup, all I'm doing is suggesting FONT changing ability for the actual client.... on the already hosted by someone else's email service.

Now we both know I could go to the "view source" and change CSS in the HTML code, but that wouldn't change a thing because I can't "SAVE" to work on the "Compose Page" since it is NOT my web page.

I can suggest a FIX for Roundcube if OTHER developers are going to do changes to Roundcube Email Client, but I can't do any changes to someone else's web pages.

And why would any "end user" ever try to change the Providers or their themer's HTML coding?

That FIX would be made if Roundcube require themers NOT to place the "Attach a file" button in it's own box, taking up more web page area than EVER, ever, needed.

Do you acknowledge that you can't go to say. . .  Yahoo mail and change the CSS page properties to change the font in THEIR "Compose Box??"

I use openmailbox, and vfemail, and riseup email hosts but
I couldn't do that than "Save" changes!

Did you see the 6 FONT in the linked screen shots of the 100% shots...in the custom theme that some themers messed up the Roundcube client application?

Did you see the 150% Zoomed screen shot so that the 6 FONT would become an easy to SEE size 12 FONT?

Did you see the "Attach a file" button taking up over HALF of the    ZOOMED to 12 FONT size?

Again thank you for this forum in order to get maybe good looking but bad functioning designed ""themers""" compose page, to FIX their themes.....  And who should do that .... ONLY the Roundcube team!

Thanks very much again!

Online SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 07:23:17 PM »
If you want to get the themes changed you'll have to talk to the skin developers directly, there isn't anything the Roundcube team can do. As for being an end user you can change the css in the browser using a plugin like Stylish: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/stylish/ for FireFox or Stylebot https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stylebot/oiaejidbmkiecgbjeifoejpgmdaleoha?hl=en for Chrome.

Offline infowarzs

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 03:40:19 PM »
Thank you SKaero,

Since us "end users," who have small screens, and don't even know what version of Roundcube we are using, how would we be able to ""talk to the skin developers directly?"" LOL!

It's not like we end users could look it up on the net, or a universal phone book, since we don't even know what version of Roundcube the email service Provider is using??

And thanks for the "stylish" suggestion!

So I and thousands of small screen uses who want a really secure email client/service have to place a "band-aid" on the proverbial eye sore, by using a workaround with stylish? HUH?

So us end users, who don't have any direct contact with any skinners, do have contact with Roundcube who can, and maybe.... should (?) engineer a plugin to change the Font size, larger or smaller, right in their client?
Now that would be way to cool, and I would even, skip a few meals and DONATE, just for that "plugin."

Oh, as you know .... that "plugin" idea was for Roundcube to provide for the "skinners" to provide to the email Service providers, so we, end users can use the "plugin" without the "band-aid."
Cool Huh?

Well thanks for the chance to talk to Roundcube directly and have a prosperous future.

Online SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 03:58:12 PM »
I was just suggesting a possible solution to your problem, even if Roundcube where to implement something the skin developer would need to integrate into the skin and your service provider would have to update Roundcube and the skin and enable the feature. Changing the local style is the simplest and quickest solution to your problem, if its not something you can do then there is no other impending solution.

Offline infowarzs

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 05:02:45 PM »
I was just suggesting a possible solution to your problem, even if Roundcube where to implement something the skin developer would need to integrate into the skin and your service provider would have to update Roundcube and the skin and enable the feature. Changing the local style is the simplest and quickest solution to your problem, if its not something you can do then there is no other impending solution.

Again thanks for all the suggestions, as they all count for good support!

The openmailbox, and riseup people more than likely would install a "plugin" on there servers, if they didn't have to reinstall the entire client until they were going to a upgrade.

As for the "skinners" they could or should install the "plugin" if it was available from Roundcube, as a "plugin" and than also do the upgrade with the plugin as hardwired within the code of the new upgrade.

Also "suggestions" to generate more happier "end users," besides myself.
After all I'm not here just to benefit myself so it would benefit all who have smaller than 12inch screens.
Which by the way is ALL the millions of tablets, and millions of laptops viewing Roundcube at is finest.

Again thanks, and I'm going to figure out the really "stylish" thingy.

Have a good one, and let me know if your devs make a "plugin" and I'll suggest it to those I am directly in contact with!

Bye!