Author Topic: Developer Documentation for accessing the rcubes IMAP library  (Read 3820 times)

Offline PHOEnix

Developer Documentation for accessing the rcubes IMAP library
« on: February 14, 2017, 04:30:01 AM »
Dear roundcube Developers,

first of all we would like to thank all envolved developers for their great work done with roundcube. We think it is by far the best webmailer, especially when it comes to message parsing.

And that's where my question belongs to. I guess every single php developer that once tried to access emails with his own script, struggled around with the message encoding. Sometimes the message body is in this mail part, sometimes it's there, sometimes it's spread over several msg parts. Even if this would be enough, the next problem are message body encoding and message title encoding issues. Over the years, we build a relatively good webmailer for our internal company script, but there are still major problems with some mails. All of these mails are parsed without errors by roundcube. That's why we would like to use roundcubes imap library and message/attachment parsing methods.

Yesterday I did my walk through the svn code and as noted in the code, roundcube developers also have had and still have open issues with message parsing and caching. That makes me feel fine, we are not the only one.

The problem I am currently facing is how to use the imap library. There is no documentation, is it? I mean some sample scripts like accessing a server's message list, read email titles, send dates, other header info, then the body and afterwards, extract attachments.

Someone extracted the imap libs here: https://github.com/MaZderMind/Roundcube-IMAP-Library
But as I experience, he did not do the whole job. For example, Text2Html is missing. And, this project seems to be unmaintained.
And there are still open questions like how and where caching is done (does it need to be set up?) and how to access attachment's infos like file names, etc.

Do you have some docu, books, sites, threads or sample code I could learn from to be able to use the libraries?

I am looking forward to hearing from you. Again, thanks so much for your great work.

Torsten

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: Developer Documentation for accessing the rcubes IMAP library
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 06:11:13 PM »
You would want to use the Roundcube Framework https://roundcube.net/download/

As for documentation I think the only thing that is available is to use Roundcube as a code example.

Offline PHOEnix

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 04:41:34 PM »
Hi,

Thank you very much for pointing me to the roundcube framework, thats what I was looking for. What a pity that there is no sample files included.

Taking roundcube itself as a sample seems complicated as there is no straight forward task like "download mails and list attachments" implemented, instead it is modularized and capsulated...

Well, what a pity... Thank you nevertheless. I hoped there were developers active in this forum that could point me to a documentation ... but if there isnt any, that's not possible, of course.

Thanks again

Torsten

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 05:33:10 PM »
Roundcube is open source, if you do build with the framework I'm sure any documentation or tutorials that could be made would be appreciated.

Offline PHOEnix

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 03:07:12 PM »
You can be sure I would write it down for the rest of the world... Though I still have problems understanding the code.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 05:45:54 PM »
If you have a specific question feel free to post it here and maybe we can help figure it out.