Author Topic: managesieve -> unable to connect to server  (Read 13628 times)

Offline meaulnes

managesieve -> unable to connect to server
« on: April 10, 2017, 06:45:14 PM »
Hello

I'm new to this forum... I have installed Roundcube on my server, it's accessible in the www.domain.tld/roundcube/ directory.

In order to setup an autoresponder and filter spam, I enabled the managesieve plugin in config/config.inc.php and the funnel appears in the settings pane.

But clicking on the funnel, the error message «An error occurred! — unable to connect to server.» appears.

What am I missing?

Thank you and best regards
Meaulnes Legler
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
www.WaveWeb.ch  ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ Zurich, Switzerland ~
~ tel: +41 44 2601660 ~

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: managesieve -> unable to connect to server
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 07:28:54 PM »
You need to setup the managesieve server information in <RC root>plugins/managesieve/config.inc.php

Offline meaulnes

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 01:55:34 AM »
thanks for the reply!

since the error message seems to involve the server, I tried changes in plugins/managesieve/config.inc.php in this section:

// managesieve server address, default is localhost.
// Replacement variables supported in host name:
// %h - user's IMAP hostname
// %n - http hostname ($_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'])
// %d - domain (http hostname without the first part)
// For example %n = mail.domain.tld, %d = domain.tld
$config['managesieve_host'] = 'localhost';

for $config['managesieve_host'] I tried all possibilities: 'localhost' '%h' '%n' '%d' '' without success, I still get «unable to connect to server.»

any other suggestion? does roundcube issue any error logs that I can look at?

Thanks and best regards, Meaulnes

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 08:40:19 AM »
You already have the error message, Roundcube can't connect to the managesieve server. Are you running managesieve on the same server as Roundcube?

Offline meaulnes

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 12:05:21 PM »
thanks again for your assistance! I don't get this:

Are you running managesieve on the same server as Roundcube?

I thought managesieve is a plugin and not a running app/binary/deamon or whatever? I have a virtual server www.domain.tld running the mailserver mail.domain.tld with dovecot. RC resides in «webroot»/roundcube/. In «webroot»/roundcube/config/config.inc.php there is following section that might be offending:

Code: [Select]
// default contents of filters script (eg. default spam filter)
$config['managesieve_default'] = '/etc/dovecot/sieve/global';

there is nothing in /etc/dovecot/sieve/global.

how can I fix this?

thank you so much!

Meaulnes

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 12:29:08 PM »
The Roundcube managesieve plugin is used to talk to a ManageSieve service which needs to part of your mail server. This is necessary because Roundcube is only a webmail client not a service or deamon meaning its only running while your using Roundcube. So if it was just a Roundcube plugin and you setup a autoresponder and then went on vacation none of the autoresponder messages could go out until you logged into Roundcube when you got back from vacation. Thats why the mail server component is necessary so when someone sends you an email the mail server can automatically send a reply.

You'll need to setup ManageSieve on your mail server before you can use the plugin: https://wiki1.dovecot.org/ManageSieve

Offline meaulnes

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 02:35:57 PM »
thank you! this is helpful! I'll look into it and keep you (and the community) updated...

Best regards
Meaulnes

Offline meaulnes

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 03:58:20 PM »
hmm, I've got bad news for the users on my server... I cannot install managesieve in my Dovecot version. I'm using an upgraded BlueOnyx 5209R. The upgrade brought a speed boost and other good features but this newest version is still using a previous Dovecot version. The BlueOnyx designers fear to upgrade Dovecot on a stable running system...

So how can I install a spam filter and an autoresponder in Roundcube without the managesieve plugin?

thanks and best regards

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 04:55:22 PM »
As I said before there really isn't a way to do it within Roundcube itself. If you dependent on the BlueOnyx system maybe you can ask them for support updating your system?

Maybe BlueOnyx offers something else for spam filtering and an autoresponders? I find it hard to believe that someone would releases a product with mail server without some sort of solution.