Author Topic: Forwarded emails - how do I reply from primary recipient etc?  (Read 4298 times)

Offline TIMOT

Hi
I am using roundcube email facility with c-panel on my website hosted at Unlimited.
Great Stuff!
I have set up several email accounts under one domain for different aspects of the site (eg inquiries, feedback, sales, admin). It was a pain having to log in to and then separately monitor multiple inboxes so I set up mail forwarders and they work fine. For example emails to sales@domain are forwarded to admin@domain so that I only have to keep checking the one admin@ email inbox. This could lead to a confusing situation where the same emails appear in both the primary and forwarded inboxes and a reply is sent twice if one neglects to delete it from the other inbox when replying. So I followed the manual and then deleted the sales@ account and, yes, the emails to sales@ still get through to admin@. So far so good. 

However there are a couple of glitches with this method.
1. If I reply to the customer's email from the admin@ account then the customer naturally gets a reply from the admin@ account when he/she is expecting a reply from the sales@ account. This may be off-putting for certain people with an autistic nature and also it publicises a previously spam-free email address. Is there a way of making the reply appear to come from the primary sales@ account?
2. When I monitor the admin@ account inbox then the emails from the different primary recipient accounts are all in a mixed up list with no immediate indication of the primary recipient. So I have to open the email to find out if it's a sales email or a feedback email. It would be nice to have an additional info column in the inbox for listing the primary recipients of forwarded mail. Then I can toggle that column so sort in order of primary recipient. Is there a feature that helps me out here?

I am new to all this and so there might be another technique or facility in roundcube that gives me the required functionality and that I have not found or realised yet. Can anyone please suggest the method that will work for me here. Do I have to do something with folders?
Thank you.

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
Re: Forwarded emails - how do I reply from primary recipient etc?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 03:04:54 AM »
For your first question that should be quite straight forward. You can setup multiple identities in Roundcue (assuming it allowed by whoever setup your Roundcube). Goto Settings > Identities. Then when you reply to a message Roundcude will automatically select sales@ or whatever (assuming it can still detect it from the message).

As for sorting your messages, there is no filtering built in to Roundcube (because its better to do filtering on the server side than the client side) so you need to check what filtering options your mail server supports. For example I use Dovecot as my IMAP server and use Sieve to filter different messages into differnt folders.
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and moreā€¦

Offline TIMOT

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 09:10:10 AM »
Hi JohnDoh. Thank you ever so much for your helpful reply. I managed to find the settings>identities facility once I had logged into the actual email account. There is also a "manage identities" tab next to the "from" box when compiling a reply email. So I just did a trial second reply to my personal account and BINGO! This time it looks like it comes from the primary recipient which is just what I was after. Wonderful result.
I will look into your reply to query #2 later.
[Other settings like forwarders are accessed from the hosting dashboard thus the elusiveness and my lack of grasping  ::)]
Thank You  :)

Offline TIMOT

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 10:10:34 AM »
Hi JohnDoh
re my question 2
It seems that I was being a bit dim. I was relying on the abbreviated cPanel dash or quick dashboard instead of the full one. Wow what a lot of features on there. So Yes I have the ability to set filters.
It took a few trial permutations of different settings to get it to work. The final settings I used were as follows:
Rules:
 to (filters primary recipient not forward destination)
 contains (if I put equals sales@domain.co.uk as the filtering condition it does not recognise it as the exact character string)
Action: "deliver to folder" salesinbox (which needs to be previously added.)
Superb.
Thank you.