Author Topic: Visually impaired user changes  (Read 2712 times)

Offline calast

Visually impaired user changes
« on: August 18, 2012, 08:06:53 PM »
By way of introduction, I am a very experienced developer of database-driven web applications trying to solve a problem for my 90-year-old mother. She is completely comfortable with email, but is visually impaired. So I am trying to put together a way for her to use her email with a web-based app (since that's how I think) that meets her needs.

The primary issue is that she can't see anything in less than about 36 point fonts. So this calls for a simplified GUI. I don't feel like reinventing the wheel, so I'm looking for the "bones" of an email client: all the functionality in place but I get to design a different user interface. This is really easy if the app was originally designed using the Model-View-Controller design pattern, because the screens (Views) are written completely separately from the program logic (Controllers). Alas, Roundcube does not seem to be that, but it has very good functionality. So I am going to try to work with it. If anyone has tried to do anything this complex before, I would appreciate suggestions. It is, of course, much harder than just setting the font size to 36 (try it). The layout rather extensively assumes you are not going to do that. This may be achievable with CSS, but ideally I would be able to design different (simpler) screens.

The more specific first question I have concerns the login screen. One thing that visually impaired people can not do well is fill in forms. Since she is just one person on one computer accessing one mail server, has anyone tried to disable the login screen? I'd like the program to start as if she has just logged in. I don't see anything like a default user in the config files, but it sure would be nice if that could somehow be hard-coded there for her installation.

Thanks,
Ken

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: Visually impaired user changes
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 09:54:39 PM »
While RoundCube doesn't have a strict MVC layout it has a really good plugin system which you can make changes with. I think what you want done it mainly skin based though, you can move all the elements with css and easily remove any you don't want with display: none;. Check out the autologin plugin to disable the login screen but make sure it has some sort of authentication so anyone who stumbles upon it won't get access to the mail account.

Offline calast

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 12:52:33 PM »
Thanks for the login screen pointer. I will check that out.

I do believe that addressing this issue is more than just a matter of skins, though. Working with visually impaired users generally means having more views/screens, each of which has less complexity. Roundcube's views are fairly rich, in that there is a lot of content and capability in each. Such designs work well for normal users, but are something of a problem in this case. So a different GUI structure is really needed.

One really needs to sit down with someone who has limited visual ability to understand what works and what doesn't.  It's a real learning experience for those of us who are used to designing apps for people whose senses work properly (I also work with the deaf). For example, icons are pretty much out of the question, since they all look the same.

I'm sure I'll get this sorted out eventually, and try to find some way to make it available to others with disabilities.

-Ken

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 08:07:55 PM »
I agree with you that some things need to change (like the removing the icons) but I don't really think there is that many elements that would/could be moved/removed form the existing interface. Here what I would think the main workflow changes would need to be:
1. Move the folder list to another screen.
2. Move the attachments to another screen.
3. Remove the contact auto complete in the compose view and replace with a contact chooser.
4. Move the contact groups to another screen or hide them, not sure on this one.

All of those changes could be done with a skin.