Author Topic: My Web Site Leaks -- Can You Help Me... RoundCube  (Read 10919 times)

Offline MarketingJunkie

My Web Site Leaks -- Can You Help Me... RoundCube
« on: January 01, 2007, 03:43:01 PM »
Every day, I follow a checklist to make sure my web business is running smooth..

... But once check raises flags for me every day -- it's the readout of my site's "Memory Used" percentage.

It's currently at 52.3%... not panic time but this number moves up daily, and I can't figure out the problem. And no -- this particular website hardly gets traffic... during the month of December, it only average 233 views a day... I know, that's basically zilch. And yes, I'm hosting on a dedicated server.

Rebooting my web server is a quick fix, but one prior reboot actually crashed my server, and I was offline for days.

I asked one top-notch programmer to look at it, and (of course) he didn't see any problems.

Do you have a quick list of things I could check out on my own? Is this normal and nothing to worry about? And is there some sort of cron job and script that can be used to reset the memory some how? Finally, should I ask my web host to upgrade the memory?

Markus

By the way, I just updated Apache (to 4.4.4) in order to get RoundCube to work with spell check. Might this upgrade help?

Offline oxygens

Re: My Web Site Leaks -- Can You Help Me... RoundCube
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 05:34:09 PM »
what control panel are you using?

also i think you mean php to 4.4.4 because apache is only at 2, alot of servers still run on 1.

Offline MarketingJunkie

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 04:10:01 AM »
Quote from: deastwood
what control panel are you using?

also i think you mean php to 4.4.4 because apache is only at 2, alot of servers still run on 1.
My bad deastwood -- PHP 4.4.4 is correct. And it's Apache version 1.3.29 (Unix). And the control panel is cPanel (10.9.0-RELEASE 79).

Mark

Offline yllar

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 12:22:17 PM »
it's unix server so it's normal that all memory is used. Read about unix memory usage
irc://irc.freenode.net:6667/#roundcube

Offline jpingle

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 04:26:25 PM »
It depends on the context of the "memory used" output. If it is saying that the system is using 53% of its total memory, then that is normal. In UNIX, at least with FreeBSD and the like, Free Memory=Wasted memory. Why leave memory sitting idle when it could be used for useful things like caching?

Now, if a particular process is consuming 53% of system memory, then there may be something to worry about. Something in that process could be leaking memory.

The real question is, when it gets close to 100%, do you notice any performance difference or errors? If you see no errors, and the performance is still good, then it's probably not a real problem. If you start having problems when it gets that high, you may need to dig deeper.

Offline MarketingJunkie

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 08:18:15 AM »
Quote from: jpingle
It depends on the context of the "memory used" output. If it is saying that the system is using 53% of its total memory, then that is normal. In UNIX, at least with FreeBSD and the like, Free Memory=Wasted memory. Why leave memory sitting idle when it could be used for useful things like caching?

Now, if a particular process is consuming 53% of system memory, then there may be something to worry about. Something in that process could be leaking memory.

The real question is, when it gets close to 100%, do you notice any performance difference or errors? If you see no errors, and the performance is still good, then it's probably not a real problem. If you start having problems when it gets that high, you may need to dig deeper.

I appreciate your details, jpingle...

... What's interesting is after upgrading Apache to 4.4.4, there's been a noticeable boost in speed on my site.

I use fudforum software for my message board, and it displays the "Total time taken to generate the page" -- in the past, it would have say 1.4 or 1.5... but lately, it's been averaging .35 to .45. That's quite a difference, eh?

Cheers,
Markus Allen
Publisher
http://www.marketing-ideas.org