Author Topic: Checking multiple emails from one login in Roundcube  (Read 10962 times)

Offline jonnied

Checking multiple emails from one login in Roundcube
« on: July 26, 2012, 04:36:47 PM »
Host: Hostgator

Is it possible to use one email login to Roundcube webmail and access multiple email accounts?

Or do you need to individually log in to each email account to manage the specific account.

J.

Offline rosali

Re: Checking multiple emails from one login in Roundcube
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 11:11:50 PM »
You can use 'accounts' plugin. http://myroundcube.com
Regards,
Rosali

Offline mikea

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 02:39:22 AM »
The answer should probably be 'no' here. This appears to be a commercial plugin, that is part of a larger commercial package.

I think this should be clarified.

Nothing wrong with people making money from their hard work, but the question was asking about Roundcube.

Offline oldschool

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 12:00:19 PM »
Yeah, that "commercial plugin" thing produce a really bad taste...

Offline mikea

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 12:43:17 PM »
I looking at implementing this feature now, so I will report back.

THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED........

Just to clarify, I have no issue with commercial plugins. Sometimes people need to make money from the time they spend. The only thing that I think needs clarification is when a commercial plugin is considered a standard feature (such as a well known SEO add-on for the Joomla open-source CMS).

The issue here is the process is a for some a waste of valuable time.

Rosali, it is not clear from your post here,  the initial plugin_manager info to the documentation that this is a commercial project. I am not suggesting you give your time for free, but leading users down a road that is not what it seems does not work in open-source............... (I've just spent 1 hour installing and setting up plugin_manager, following the docs, to then find out I need credits for accounts plugin. Even in plugin manger it does not say how much. This is not helpful to the project).

You know what? If at the start it had just said 'This is a commercial plugin, cost $10, I would have happily paid. But now I feel a bit conned.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 01:37:01 PM by mikea »

Offline oldschool

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 02:41:12 PM »
The fact that free plugins become commercial plugins is a pain in the ass.
And the second fact is the free ones will not developed any more...

And the plugin-manager follows a not "round" concept. For the normal user simply not usable.

That's what i noticed the last months.
Should i be sorry for this statement?

Rgds.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 07:17:35 PM by oldschool »

Offline mikea

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 05:24:41 PM »
I think the Joomla CMS project or the Drupal project are good examples to follow.

Joomla operates a system of putting both free and commercial plugins together, but displays which a plugin is in the listing. Therefore it is clear, and the user can choose. This also means commercial developers maintain a good reputation (assuming they make good plugins of course).

The other thing that distinguishes commercial from free is often the ease of install. Personally, I don't imagine so many users being willing to pay when the install of plugin manager and it's plugins is not automatic, or straight forward. I was quite frustrated to go through the process and then be told 'you have to pay'. On larger open-source projects I've been involved with, it simply wouldn't be possible to sell or gain trust like this.

Drupal operates a different system, one where only free, GPL modules can be displayed in the main listing. Commercial developers make their money by offering paid support or custom work. This does mean that developers have to start by making modules that really attract attention, but those that succeed can earn a lot of money.

Probably I won't be continuing with Roundcube because I need multiple accounts and would like to feel that I can extend it more easily, and it is simply not practical for me to pay for this modification when I can use a regular client such as Outlook. However, I think it is a great project but I believe it needs more clarity, and should perhaps looks at how the very popular open source projects deal with plugins.

Offline yoni5002

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 06:12:10 AM »
The fact that free plugins become commercial plugins is a pain in the ass.
And the second fact is the free ones will not developed any more...

And the plugin-manager follows a not "round" concept. For the normal user simply not usable.

That's what i noticed the last months.
Should i be sorry for this statement?

Rgds.

I tell you what I have noticed. I have noticed that you are extremely mouthed against what Rosali has done with Plugin Manager. You are entitled to your opinion but I seriously wonder if you have taken the time to look at what it has done. Moreover, I wonder how many times during the years he shared with the community all along you did something to help or support his work.  It doesn’t feel good at all when you are in front of the barrel while others find it funny to play behind the trigger.

Nowadays users have to download plugins, upload them to the server and register them. It is the way it has worked for years.

How about Plugin Manager?
Download plugin_manager, upload it to the server, register plugin_manager and off you go to the download Center. Plugins supported by plugin_manager do not even need to be registered in .../config/main.inc.php.

Most users who wonder why is it that they have to manually upload plugins simply do not understand that Roundcube Webmail is distributed in 1000 different ways, different versions, different repositories and so on. For example, cPanel servers, Ubuntu - Debian servers and your own server will all have a different installation path and permissions. When it comes to automatic deployment security is to consider as a big concerning point. Do you want an outside service to install a plugin or a plugin update for your customized installation? Are you willing to give read /write permissions to the service in question to execute the update? We have tested these scenarios already and the most convenient advice that can be shared is not to attempt to do such a thing.

Plugin Manager presents a collection of plugins paid-downloads and free plugins as well in one single place. Users do not have to keep going back to 5 different sites to find out when plugins are updated, or if a new localization file has been released that might be needed or wanted. Translating plugins has never been easier and distributing plugins and plugins updates is way simpler with Plugin Manager.

What makes plugin_manager to look a little more complicated than other plugins is at the time to implement plugin_manager to allow users to enable or disable plugins as they please. There are two config files included with plugin_manager (config.inc.php.dist and config.inc.php.example). Users completely new to Roundcube Webmail will find it scary and complicated to configure it when they look at the php code in those files. The fact is that there is nothing else involved than to "copy and paste". Users more familiar with Roundcube will in fact get it up and running in a blink of an eye because they have a background understanding of Roundcube and its dynamics. If my 17 years old non-literate-computer-savvy sister can deploy and install plugin_manager as she does, chances are that many more people out there looking to host their own Roundcube Webmail can do it too. The only thing required to effectively install plugin_manager is "reading". Users don't like to read in its vast majority. We have verified and proved it over and over again by sending users to the documentation pages that we are making available. If you look at what we are doing with the documentation pages, they look more like a "how to guide" than anything else.

Back to your observations; you are looking at Rosali's hard work from a single individual point of view. That's really narrow at its best. With plugins releases one must deal with thousands of users, servers, configurations, PHP versions and the list goes on and on. Your mailbox will be saturated with all kind of questions from all kind of users, those who read and those who don't. You will be exhausted just before you get to the next <?php line. I can tell you from my own personal experience that Rosali is a great guy and works extremely hard for people that most likely he will never get to meet in his life.

I'm certainly convinced that criticism is a good thing but it doesn't help when such criticism is not accompanied with a positive suggestion that will help improve what we have there today.

The bad taste doesn't come for plugins which are coded with the intension to be useful to the masses but from people who don't recognize or support their developers. Don't try to teach a pig how to sing; it annoys the pig and it doesn't work.

Offline rosali

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 07:33:27 AM »
@ mikea

I'm sorry if are disappointed. Maybe it is of some help for you to have a look to the date of a post (in this case July 26, 2012, 11:11:50 PM) next time ...

EDIT:

I have updated my signature. Everythings should be clear now. Even in old posts.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 08:18:17 AM by rosali »
Regards,
Rosali