Author Topic: Cannot Send Email/Missing Application Buttons  (Read 11664 times)

Offline nancygraz

Cannot Send Email/Missing Application Buttons
« on: January 06, 2007, 11:42:44 AM »
Good Morning,

Before starting to describe my issues, here is my system information/versions:
  • PHP v4.4.4
  • Apache v1.3.37
  • MySQL v4.1.21

I downloaded the most recent version available on the downloads page (roundcube_webmail_0.1-beta2.1.tar.gz - dated 12/23/06) and have installed RoundCube with partial success. I am able to view my inbox, read my messages, and (when desired) delete them.

However, I am not able to send from the account. Here are my symptoms:

• No "Sender" information is pre-filled;
  • Following my pressing the Send The Message Now button, the compose New Mail page continues to be displayed - RC does not return to the Inbox, nor does it display any other page;
  • After navigating back to my Inbox (by the brute-force method of "relogging in," RC has NOT saved a copy of the new email in my SENT folder;
  • The test message is never received by the recipient.

My husband experiences the same symptoms with his login.

After doing a few searches on the RoundCube project site, I found that my inability to send mail may be related to not having an Identity configured (refer to http://trac.roundcube.net/trac.cgi/ticket/1299319). Researching THIS issue led me to realize that, in addition to our not being able to send email, the four Application Buttons are not displayed on my Inbox page as well. Although these two issues are probably not directly related, not being able to access our Personal Settings is certainly hindering our ability to try to resolve the send-email issue.

I also found that the FAQ (http://trac.roundcube.net/trac.cgi/wiki/FAQ, last entry) states that the inability to send email is probably due to the following:

ALTER TABLE identities ADD `html_signature` tinyint( 1 ) NOT NULL default '0';

The FAQ questions/answers have no dates or build-codes associated with them, so there is no way for me to know when this information was first provided and when it was relevent. Is this still a valid concern for the most recent release? (I looked at my database information, and my Identities table does not include html_signatures information. Should it?) Or is this strictly an issue when upgrading from a previous release (per the original question.)?

I am getting ready to completely remove all files from my server and perform a fresh install. But, before I go to this extreme, I would like to know if there is some "simple" "DOH!" solution that someone can offer to me that may help resolve one - or ultimately both - of these issues.

Thanks in advance...

Nancy

Offline daashag

Re: Cannot Send Email/Missing Application Buttons
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 12:05:09 PM »
Not that this is necessary, I would delete the RC directory and start over with the svn. It has some really nice features that the beta doesn't. IMO it's not really that buggy either. To get back to your problem, you shouldn't have to alter the database as the initial.mysql file that comes with the beta should give you a complete database.  Look in your main.inc.php for your smtp settings. Make sure your server and usrername and credentials are set up correctly. Also make sure that the auto_create_user line is set to "TRUE" or will have to manually add users to the database.
The FAQ questions/answers have no dates or build-codes associated with them, so there is no way for me to know when this information was first provided and when it was relevent. Is this still a valid concern for the most recent release? (I looked at my database information, and my Identities table does not include html_signatures information. Should it?) Or is this strictly an issue when upgrading from a previous release (per the original question.)?

I had the same problem when I went from the beta to the svn. I had to add the html_signatures field to my database. That fixed it.

Edit: Added quote

Offline nancygraz

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 12:19:36 PM »
Quote from: daashag
Not that this is necessary, I would delete the RC directory and start over with the svn. It has some really nice features that the beta doesn't. IMO it's not really that buggy either. To get back to your problem, you shouldn't have to alter the database as the initial.mysql file that comes with the beta should give you a complete database.  Look in your main.inc.php for your smtp settings. Make sure your server and usrername and credentials are set up correctly. Also make sure that the auto_create_user line is set to "TRUE" or will have to manually add users to the database.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I know I didn't mention in my original message, but I have checked my smtp settings - that information is all correct. I am using %u and %p for the login credentials for the smtp server, and I have even "hardcoded" my personal login creds here... nothing has worked...

Also, auto_create_user is set to TRUE...

That is what is making this all so frustrating - nothing is "intuitively obvious to the most casual oberver..."  ;D

Now, as for the SVN... I am willing to try this - just want to make sure that I download the correct version... As I see it on the downloads page, the SVN that is available for downloads is nightly-20060914, correct?

I presume that the installation would be similar to that of the Beta?

-=/\/=-

Offline daashag

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 12:25:48 PM »
If you have shell access

http://trac.roundcube.net/trac.cgi/wiki/Dev_SVN

If not then http://roundcube.tobix.org has the latest build

Offline nancygraz

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 02:14:53 PM »
Good News - did a complete reinstall using the latest svn version, and everything appears to be working now...

THANK YOU!

One quick question about a bug/quirk that I noticed.

After I click the Send the Message Now link and wait for the message to finish sending, RoundCube does not return to the Inbox page. It just continues to display the Compose Message screen for the message that was just composed.

When I clicked the Email button to return to the Inbox, a dialog was displayed warning that the message had not been sent and asking if I want to Cancel. (I know the message HAD sent because it had already been received and read.) After clicking Cancel on the Dialog, RoundCube returned to the Inbox. I checked the Sent folder, and a copy of my test message was there. Is this a known bug? Or did I miss a setting/configuration value somewhere?

Also, when doing a reply to a message, after it has been sent, RoundCube would not return to the Inbox even after clicking the Email button... It "locked up" for lack of a better term. We were able to get back to the Inbox by using the Browser's Back pull-down...

I know you said that there were a few bugs (to be expected...) Just want to make sure that I am experiencing "known issues" so that I don't go nuts (more than I already AM ;D) trying to chase something down...

Again, THANKS for your help... It really is greatly appreciated...

-=/\/=-

Offline daashag

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 06:57:09 PM »
I am running svn446 and I don't have those problems. So I don't think those are bugs. Are there any errors in the log.

Offline nancygraz

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 08:52:38 PM »
FWIW, I seem to be running an SVN version that is 2 later than what you are running... In the http://roundcube.tobix.org directory, there are (in addition to others) 446.tar.gz, 447.tar.gz, and _latest.tar.gz. I am running the version found in _latest.tar.gz.

As for errors... yup - there are lots of errors in my error log... Most of them seem to be of the format (I will sanitize it a bit; all sanitized items are correct and are in blue):

[06-Jan-2007 13:53:57 -0500] DB Error: DB Error: no such field Query: INSERT INTO messages (user_id, del, cache_key, created, idx, uid, subject, `from`, `to`, cc, date, size, headers, structure) VALUES ('2', 0, 'INBOX.msg', now(), '43', '78', 'RE: test', 'Recipient ', 'sender address', '', FROM_UNIXTIME(1168127621), 2500, 'O:14:\"iilbasicheader\":25:{s:2:\"id\";s:2:\"43\";s:3:\"uid\";s:2:\"78\";s:7:\"subject\";s:8:\"RE: test\";s:4:\"from\";s:43:\"\"Recipient Name\" Recipient Address\";s:2:\"to\";s:16:\"Sender address\";s:2:\"cc\";s: in /home/domain_name/public_html/roundcube/program/include/rcube_db.inc on line 501

Does any of this provide any insight?

Offline daashag

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 09:16:37 PM »
Unfortunately I can't say that it does. Did you create a new database when you switched to svn?

Offline nancygraz

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 09:51:53 PM »
Quote from: daashag
Unfortunately I can't say that it does. Did you create a new database when you switched to svn?

Nope - same db. Modified the Identities table with the info in the FAQ - that was it...

Offline daashag

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 10:32:35 PM »
Try the initial.mysql that comes with the svn. Make sure the user you used in the main.inc.php has appropriate permissions.

Offline jpweb

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 11:26:00 PM »
I have the same exact problems when I install the svn versions since 423

Offline jpingle

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 11:11:26 AM »
Do you continue to get the errors if you turn off message caching in main.inc.php?

Offline nancygraz

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 11:36:15 AM »
Quote from: jpingle
Do you continue to get the errors if you turn off message caching in main.inc.php?

Yes - I turned it off as part of my initial configuration, so (at least for my install) message caching was never enabled.

-=/\/=-

Offline jpingle

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 11:54:56 AM »
Then can you confirm you have performed both of these updates?

SQL/mysql.update.sql
Code: [Select]
-- RoundCube Webmail update script for MySQL databases
-- Updates from version 0.1-beta and 0.1-beta2

ALTER TABLE `messages`
 DROP `body`,
 DROP INDEX `cache_key`,
 ADD `structure` TEXT,
 ADD UNIQUE `uniqueness` (`cache_key`, `uid`);

ALTER TABLE `identities`
 ADD `html_signature` tinyint(1) default 0 NOT NULL;

Offline nancygraz

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2007, 12:30:27 PM »
Quote from: jpingle
Then can you confirm you have performed both of these updates?

SQL/mysql.update.sql
Code: [Select]
-- RoundCube Webmail update script for MySQL databases
-- Updates from version 0.1-beta and 0.1-beta2

ALTER TABLE `messages`
 DROP `body`,
 DROP INDEX `cache_key`,
 ADD `structure` TEXT,
 ADD UNIQUE `uniqueness` (`cache_key`, `uid`);

ALTER TABLE `identities`
 ADD `html_signature` tinyint(1) default 0 NOT NULL;

I can confirm that I altered the Identities table to add the html_signature field.

I have not altered the Messages table as indicated. I will do that update shortly and get back to you... (Guess it is time for me to dig deeper into how to use MySQL  :-[ )

Thanks for the help so far...

-=/\/=-