Author Topic: Contacts with multiple emails are shown many times  (Read 5774 times)

Offline grpprod

Contacts with multiple emails are shown many times
« on: December 25, 2012, 02:27:09 PM »
I have noticed something that may need improvement. When a contact has multiple emails, and when composing a new mail, this contact is shown as many times as its email addresses. Perhaps this need some kind of improvement. At the moment only when hovering over each entry shows the email address. But this is not very intuitive especially for users with little computer experience (eg. older people).

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
Re: Contacts with multiple emails are shown many times
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 04:22:42 PM »
I don't know what version Roundcube you are using, but in the latest release (0.8.4) this is configurable in the main.inc.php file.
Code: [Select]
// Skip alternative email addresses in autocompletion (show one address per contact)
$rcmail_config['autocomplete_single'] = false;

Just change that entry to 'true'.
Arne Berglund
SysAdmin, Internet Services
Lane Education Service District
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline Yoni

• MyRoundcube
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 05:21:56 PM »
I don't know what version Roundcube you are using, but in the latest release (0.8.4) this is configurable in the main.inc.php file.
Code: [Select]
// Skip alternative email addresses in autocompletion (show one address per contact)
$rcmail_config['autocomplete_single'] = false;

Just change that entry to 'true'.
I believe he was referring not the autocomplete feature (which in fact shows <contact name><email address>) but to the addressbook in the compose window (left hand side in a compose window).

Even when it might not be optimal (visually) the autocomplete feature takes care of this by displaying the contact name and the email address all together.

Offline grpprod

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 03:41:42 AM »
That's right. I know that it is dealt with autocomplete, but it might cause a confusion. Perhaps the user will think she did something wrong, and will try to remove 'duplicate' entries. She will then be surprised to find out she removed some email addresses she can't find elsewhere...

It just was my understanding that RC is mature enough now to avoid presenting such ambiguities. I am not a programmer myself (at least not anymore) but it seems something very simple to fix.

Offline grpprod

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 03:49:27 AM »
I have noticed that in git version, there are still multiple entries shown but at least they have the email address next to them. I was wondering if there is an easy way (hot having to change the core I mean) to do this in my 0.8.4.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 04:29:32 AM by grpprod »

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 05:00:18 AM »
well you'd have to change the core... unless you wanted to write a plugin just to change the contact list - changing one file in the core is going to be quicker! this is the change that did it https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/commit/83f2f6bb6584fe15bd6834f161ccf2dc8c97ee77 though i have not checked if it replies on any other change which is not in the 0.8 branch just looking at what was changed i do not belive that it does.
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and more…

Offline grpprod

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 10:10:55 AM »
it seems to work fine. thanks. what is the change in mail.css for? I have noticed that only the change in list_contacts.inc gives the desired result.

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »
it is to style the email address in the contact list
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and more…