Author Topic: Cannot save new password  (Read 10954 times)

Offline ivertobson

Cannot save new password
« on: January 07, 2013, 10:00:38 AM »
I've been searching for solution for days now. I have CentOS server with roundcube installed. I'm having problem using the password plugin.

I have installed the plugin, activated it and there is a password tab in the settings. But when i try to change the password, it says "Cannot save new password".

Normally, when i add users, i do it through the terminal using "useradd username" and add the user in the home directory. And when i change/create password, i user "passwd username" through the terminal.

In the password plugin, I tried using PAM driver and chpasswd driver. But still having the same problem. Can anyone please help me out on this? Thank You

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: Cannot save new password
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 12:46:12 PM »
Make sure the web server has permission to change users passwords.

Offline tanyamiaaaauw

• OS X Mavericks | MBP | Mac mini
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 09:30:37 AM »
New to this forum and just installed Roundcube with Topicdesk. On OS X Server with Mavericks. Now also trying to use the password plugin. Step by step I seem to get a little bit closer. Spending hours and hours already...  :( But now it really gets fuzzy for me.

Running OS X Server, using local network users for the mailaccounts. So, I use Open Directory for this and Profile Manager to configure this. AFAIK I have to use the LDAP protocol for changing the passwords via Roundcube. But correct me if I am wrong. I installed LDAP2 from PEAR with the pyrus installer. This looks ok, I guess. In the 'config.inc.php' of the password plugin I have set the driver to use 'ldap'. Now I am not sure what to change with other settings to get this working. E.g. I have set the ldap_port to '636' (somewhere I have read this is used instead of the default '389'). Also changed all the DN settings to 'dc=<mydomainname>,dc=nl'. Again, not sure whether this is good or not.

Now, when I try to change the password in Roundcube, instead of getting an error message (previously I got a connection error), I now see it directs to the passwordpage ('http://<mydomainname>.nl/webmail/?_task=settings&_action=plugin.password-save') for saving the new password. And then it simply remains a blank page. Hanging like this. And finally nothing has happened at all.

Could someone please point me in the right direction? Very much appreciated! ;)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 02:40:03 PM by tanyamiaaaauw »

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 02:48:09 AM »
If I'm correct, you can change the password on mac servers with the dscl password driver. See here: http://www.roundcubeforum.net/index.php/topic,10126.msg43535.html#msg43535

Offline tanyamiaaaauw

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 08:07:36 AM »
Thank you. At least I am on the right track ;) I found that article also last night, but it didn't work as well. So now I tried the dscl command in Terminal and am getting the following error message:

passwd: DS error: eDSNotAuthorized
<dscl_cmd> DS Error: -14484 (eDSNotAuthorized)

I will search for this error message, but if anyone has any suggestions at this moment, be welcome to share ;)

Offline tanyamiaaaauw

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 10:48:25 AM »
Not sure if this is related. Could be.

In my search for this problem I have been struggling with passwords and accounts today :( Suddenly I seem to be unable to reset the passwords for the Local Network Users in Server.app. When trying this I just see the circling wheel, in the left lower corner, quickly turning and then disappearing. Nothing happens. Also adding a new Local Network User has made the Server.app crash at one time. Using Workgroup Manager to change those passwords, was no success either. Had to login with 'diradmin' and thought I probably had forgotten the password. But when trying the solution with 'mkpassdb -setpassword <slot-ID>' this suddenly does not seem to work with Mavericks anymore. The setting '-setpassword' is not available. So, not sure what has happened, but perhaps the upgrading to Mavericks has somehow distorted something in OD and such.

Anybody here recognizes these problems?  :(

Offline tanyamiaaaauw

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 05:15:24 PM »
Yes! Finally I found the solution to my problem *sigh* ;)

After several attempts to change the Password database with the 'mkpassdb' (via root) command, still nothing worked properly. After a while I finally remembered my own password for the 'diradmin' account. And hoped to start changing passwords in Workgroup Manager. But the weird thing was, that I could do some changes, but not all. E.g. changing passwords was still not possible. Even though the properties of all accounts were set to 'Open Directory'; I still got the errormessage that I could not change a password of type Open Directory. So weird, because all the Local Network Users have this property.

The more I was thinking of it, the more I was convinced that all of this must have to do something with the Password database. So, based on that belief I started searching for problems related to that. More specifically in relation to the migration to OS X Mavericks. And that is when I came across the following page "OS X Server (Mavericks): After upgrading or migrating, network user cannot be created" (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5289)

And this solved the problem. Yaay! ;)

Btw.
I do use the 'dscl' driver for changing passwords in Roundcube. Not the 'ldap' one. And it works perfectly.