Author Topic: myroundcube.com is unlawful and screenshots on roundcube.net are misleading  (Read 13757 times)

Offline rot

Dear Roundcube-Community!

I am really annoyed! I have been using open-source software for ages and I have been participating in development but I never came across something nearly as obscure as you seem to have done or allowed with the latest release.

There are images on the roundcube site of a calendar plugin - one that used to be free to use with caldav.

Because of that I spent half a day configuring a webhost to allow for the installation of roundcube. Now this time is lost.

Now I found out there is:

- No documentation on how to install that calendar plugin on current roundcube

- The only way that seems to work accoring to some postings somewhere lead to a plugin with the name "myroundcube.com.

On myroundcube there is no imprint and the DNS is anonymous. You are promoting business with someone who is VIOLATING EUROPEAN LAW.

1. I don't want to pay when I didn't expect to have to pay -> there is no info on that on roundcube.net
2. I would never pay to someone who is probably somewhere on an Island in the sun but never to be found.
3. The user experience of this whole "store" ist total nonsense. Why should I install something on the Server to then buy and download code that I need on the Server?

Please:
- Clearly state that there is paid plugins to be bought
- Clearly state what your relationship to "myroundcube" is

As you seem to be associated to that business you should press to:
- Stop all unlawful behaviour
- Produce a useable store if you want to promote paid plugins

regards,
roman

Offline alec

The screenshots on roundcube.net use Calendar plugin from http://git.kolab.org/roundcubemail-plugins-kolab/. If you want to pay as Kolab Systems for support. Roundcube Webmail (and the Team) has no relation with myroundcube project. There's no connection with it on roundcube webpage. Plugins can be created by anyone.

Offline rot

Ok if this shows the Kolab Plugin then I would expect to find a Guide on how to install it. Is there some HOWTO to be found? I couldn't find one - something I would expect from something that is featured in a Screenshot on the homepage of a project.

You have no idea who myroundcube.com could be?

They are not developing plugins they are running a unlawful webshop. I think its something totally different promoting such a shop than promoting some plugin.

Thus I would urge you to remove all links to myroundcube.com or at least put a disclaimer near them.

Under German law you could be responsible for the link if you don't put a disclaimer somewhere stating that you have no relations to that site and are not promoting their content.

regards
roman

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
There are images on the roundcube site of a calendar plugin - one that used to be free to use with caldav.
You seem to be mixing two different plugins (understandably) there is acutely two different calendar plugins. The first calendar plugin is the my roundcube plugin which has been in development for a long while. The second calendar plugin (the one pictured on roundcube.net) is made by Kolab http://www.kolab.org/about/roundcubemail-plugins-kolab and was released alongside of RoundCube 0.8.

Now I found out there is:

- No documentation on how to install that calendar plugin on current roundcube
I'd have to agree that the documentation is lacking, the best way is to read the INSTALL or README files that come with the actual plugin. Feel free to help out and improve it.

- Clearly state what your relationship to "myroundcube" is
MyRoundCube is a completely separate project that isn't run or sponsored by the RoundCube project, you will have to take up your other complains with them directly.

bilbo_b

is there anywhere a documentation how to install the kolab plugins to Roundcube? If i try to upload them to the roundcube plugins folder and enable the plugins in the roundcube config, i get some errors. Or should we install kolab as a whole suite? can kolab installed on a shared webhost?

Offline SKaero

• Administrator

bilbo_b

Hmmm ok. Then i dont know what is wrong. I get the following error: Fatal error:  Call to undefined method html::quote() in /path/to/my/web/roundcube/plugins/calendar/drivers/database/database_driver.php on line 96

Is there anything what you can do to get this to work?

bilbo_b

Ok i think the Plugins are for 0.9-beta of Roundcube. I have installed this beta now and the plugins do work. But i cant find any way to get access to a CalDAV Server with the calendar plugin. Will there be a way to get CalDAV Calendars to work with roundcube, without using this obscure myroundcube.com project?

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
If you want to use the calendar plugin with RoundCube 0.8.x you'll need to get the plugin from the roundcubemail-plugins-kolab-0.8 branch. I don't think it has CalDAV support right now but I think it is planed in the future. Looking around I saw this fork on GitHub with CalDAV support https://github.com/dupondje/roundcubemail-plugins-kolab no idea if it works.

bilbo_b

thx for the info. I will try it tomorrow.

Offline Yoni

• MyRoundcube
I believe you should be cautious when pointing fingers at others. Roundcube Webmail and MyRoundcube are two completely separate projects. We are not in violations of European Law.

MyRoundcube is not a "whole store". In our site we offer plugins downloads and documentation for plugins we've worked on as well as third party plugins. Most plugins are delivered through one of our own plugins (plugin_manager) and there is a clear statement in our site. We decided to deliver plugins through plugin_manager for several reasons. There is also a Packages & Pricelist for plugins downloads credits right at the top of our main page.  Did you ever read it?

How did you come about associating or determining that Roundcube or MyRoundcube are somehow associated hence they should stop what you called "illegal activities"?

If you have questions or concerns regarding our site, what we do or how we do it, please feel free to contact us at any time. There is a contact form in the site that you can certainly use.

PLEASE BE ADVISED: Communicating with us requires READING.

bilbo_b

If you want to use the calendar plugin with RoundCube 0.8.x you'll need to get the plugin from the roundcubemail-plugins-kolab-0.8 branch. I don't think it has CalDAV support right now but I think it is planed in the future. Looking around I saw this fork on GitHub with CalDAV support https://github.com/dupondje/roundcubemail-plugins-kolab no idea if it works.
This version works with 0.8.4. it starts and i can define the Path to a CalDAV-Server. At this time, i have a problem with php-libawl on my host, so i cant say, if it works completely. I will try again later, when the problem with libawl is resolved. But thanks for pointing me to this Plugin.

Offline grpprod

How exactly can we fetch the 0.8 branch? I've installed git, but so far I've only been able to fetch the following (which I guess is for RC 0.9).

git clone git://git.kolab.org/git/roundcubemail-plugins-kolab

I've also tried the other fork, yet it does not show properly with Larry skin (files missing). Works with classic skin.