Author Topic: I want it bad!! Please consider few more features.  (Read 10227 times)

Offline acuitas

I want it bad!! Please consider few more features.
« on: January 07, 2007, 03:56:46 PM »
Brett

I am trying to decide whether to use Roundcube in my new venture. It is so very close to being just what we need. However, after webmastering the mail system of a venture, I am convinced that a few more features are essential. Without them, the guys would throw it back at me. Here is what I think it needs to get over this bump.

1. In business, often people write the email before deciding all the people to send it to. In RoundCube, there is no convenient way to pop new email addresses into the address field of a new email after writing it. We need this.

2. Most business people I know find a row of smily face icons just above the message field to be too "nursury school". And frankly, we never use them anyway and the animations are distracting. We'd like to turn that off in "preferences."

3. The signatures required in every email at a business tend to be rather wordy. We need an auto signature to save time.

4. Not a deal breaker, but it would be nice if we could import address books in CSV from other apps. I can do it at the server, but it's a headache over time.

5. Also not a deal breaker, but it would be nice if the user, instead of me, could add fields to the address book.

6. Not a deal breaker, but would be nice if attachments did not have to appear in the email, just listed hotlinked for download.

That's it, friend. Do this, and RoundCube could compete with everything. Calendars don't work in a business setting unless they have complex project management features. For personal calendars, I would just give everyone an instance of TotalCalendar, an excellent product. All the extraneous features on Atmail really have no use for me, it's just money for nothing. I will just tie RoundCube into CPanel, so i can manage the accounts, and I'll be golden. But, without features #1 and #3 on my above list, I can't use RoundCube yet.

I very much want this package on my server. Is there anything I can do to convince you to add these two features quickly. I know that your programming is worth a lot more than I can pay. If you do this, I will make a point to be an active proponent of RC. I think it should be made standard with CPanel. You are on the right track visually and functionally. The above 6 features will make it an industry standard.

If anyone out there has already written solutions for this, I'm smart enough to insert the code with fair instructions, but I am not a programmer. Just a veteran (51 year old) web designer with a few extra skills.

Thanks for listening.

Offline jpingle

Re: I want it bad!! Please consider few more features.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 05:02:10 PM »
Many of these are already possible or have been addressed, are you using beta2 or earlier version? (I suppose since this is the beta2 forum, that's what you are using.)

1. In business, often people write the email before deciding all the people to send it to. In RoundCube, there is no convenient way to pop new email addresses into the address field of a new email after writing it. We need this.
Do you mean adding people from the address book? While there is no button to push, RoundCube does autocomplete if you start typing a name or address from the address book. You can arrow down and hit enter on the person to add. I agree though, a button to add more contacts by point-and-click would be nice.

2. Most business people I know find a row of smily face icons just above the message field to be too "nursury school". And frankly, we never use them anyway and the animations are distracting. We'd like to turn that off in "preferences."
I'm not entirely sure where you're seeing a row of smiley faces. There is one on this forum, but on the HTML editor used in RoundCube, it only has a single inanimate smiley face. Even so, you can turn off the HTML editor in preferences of the users, or in the main preferences.

3. The signatures required in every email at a business tend to be rather wordy. We need an auto signature to save time.
This is already in RoundCube, as well as an option for HTML signatures.

4. Not a deal breaker, but it would be nice if we could import address books in CSV from other apps. I can do it at the server, but it's a headache over time.
This could be handy, but may take some work especially when it comes to matching up field names.

5. Also not a deal breaker, but it would be nice if the user, instead of me, could add fields to the address book.
I thought there was some work being done on that, and it might be worked on more after the next major release.

6. Not a deal breaker, but would be nice if attachments did not have to appear in the email, just listed hotlinked for download.
In some cases they are, but the positioning of the attachment in other cases is preserved from how the sender requested it. For instance, certain messages might look odd if an inline image was not shown where it was intended.

If you aren't using a version from SVN, you might try it out to see if it's closer to what you want. You can find unofficial SVN snapshots at http://roundcube.tobix.org/

Offline NaiosKae

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 02:25:49 AM »
You can try svn here : https://hypercube.dynalias.org/roundcube-svn
use demo/demo to login (you just won't be able to send mail)

Offline acuitas

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 07:02:33 PM »
Hello folks!

jpingle

Thank you kindly for responding so thoroughly. Open-Source people are so terrific. I haven't tried an install yet. I was going on the demo at RC.net. Apparently, I didn't pound on it enough or i would have noticed a couple more things.

1. Autocomplete would be fine for now, but sometimes it's nice to review the list when you can't remember who is on it.
2. You are right about the smiley faces. It was the forum. Silly me. I was working too fast that day. Thanks.
3. The signature feature I definitely must have missed. I couldn't find it. I'll check the newest version.
4. Yes, for the addressbook import, RC will need a field name mapper too, but that shouldn't be too bad, is it?
5. Good news. For now, I learned how to add fields in the code from a forum entry.
6. On the attachment thing, it sounds like I should give it another try. Maybe it's fine.

To NaiosKae, thank you.

I'm switching to RoundCube for our startup company, tied into Cpanel. When the techs at Connectria.com see it, they're gonna want it. Horde is such a pile of spagetti, and Squirrel is dorky. I'm rootin for ya. I'll be watching for new releases. You guys can close this topic. I'm happy.

Offline nickjamescolin

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 12:09:46 AM »
I suggest you take a look at the new AtMail Open http://atmail.org/ ; another good option to consider, seems they just released an open source version. A lightweight Ajax client without the bloat.

Offline bpat1434

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 02:09:30 AM »
I'm not a main developer of the project.  So while I might be able to code the hacks for you, it would really cost me time, which is money, so I'd have to bill for it :(  Not something I really want to do, but business is business (as I'm sure you know).

I will say this, the addition of email addresses in the To/Cc/Bcc fields could be more intuitive (something like having multiple text-boxes so it looks like:

Code: [Select]
To: [_[u]someone@somedomain.com[/u]_] [ - ]
To: [_[u]someone2@anotherdomain.com[/u]_] [ - ]
To: [__________] [ + ]
Cc: [__________] [ + ]
Bcc: [__________] [ + ]

Something like that would be more "intuitive" and probably more familiar to Thunderbird users.

As for adding fields to the address book, that's an interesting feature.  I'm not sure of too many enterprise apps (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.) that allow you to add fields.  I do know that they have many many more fields to choose from though.

Signatures are a part of your identity, and always have been, IIRC.  But I do know you can set your signature per identity.

Importing an address book would be a lot of work.  I think instead of a CSV format, an XML format would be better.  Or there could be a "mapping" utility that would ask you what each column is, then it would take only the fields it can (based on database columns).  Would be a lot of work, and could be a UI disaster :s

I agree with attachments.  Although I think images aren't displayed in-line (security).  I think attachments would be better left on the server, but in the interest of time and resources, they're brought to the fore-front in the UI so that if the user wants the attachment, it's right there.  One less trip to the IMAP server.

Offline solosunday

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 07:55:34 PM »
So far, I can't figure out how to get the roundcube auto signature to work.  

Can you help me?

Many thanks!

Offline mentor

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 07:20:56 PM »
Could you tell me where to find the Auto Signature option in the roundcube email?

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 02:20:57 AM »
Go to Settings->Identities and then click on your identity and fill in the signature box.

Offline bagu

• Bagu.biz
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 03:04:56 AM »
Quote from: acuitas;4886
Hello folks!
1. Autocomplete would be fine for now, but sometimes it's nice to review the list when you can't remember who is on it.

Consider using the plugin adressbook in compose window

Merlinclancy

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 01:13:07 AM »
Thanks for your information!!!!

network management services