Author Topic: Theme Changes, for Larry, in Upgrades?  (Read 13548 times)

Offline KeyJockey

Theme Changes, for Larry, in Upgrades?
« on: February 21, 2013, 10:15:09 AM »
Is there any summary of changes in the newest RC upgrade *specific* to the Larry theme files... if any?

Reason I ask is we're using our own custom version of Larry, and I'd like to do the update BUT I don't want to have to recreate or "diff" all the files to see if anything needs to be edited in our theme files.

BTW I used to be able to do the Roundcube updates via SimpleScripts but since moving our site to new hosting service, we don't have SS any more.  So it looks like I'll have to do it manually now (not sure I know how to do that, yet... running shell script and etc?  Gotta go look that up I guess, any tutorial here?)

-JC

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: Theme Changes, for Larry, in Upgrades?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 01:58:22 PM »
You can read the git commit history https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/commits/master/skins/larry (thats the master branch) here is the upgrade documentation: http://trac.roundcube.net/wiki/Howto_Upgrade

Offline KeyJockey

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
Hi Skaero, thanks for that.

But, hmm... I guess it might be easier to just re-create our custom theme file set by starting with the new Larry, rather than going thru all that one at a time   :-\

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 07:54:40 AM »
It very well maybe easier to do it from scratch. If you do I'd recommend that you put your css changes in a separate file so it would be easier to upgrade in the future.

Offline pauLee

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 08:25:00 AM »
Who´s the developer of Larry?

I ask because I want to write him because of a missing thing.

Offline joydev

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 12:22:41 AM »
Hi Skaero, thanks for that.

But, hmm... I guess it might be easier to just re-create our custom theme file set by starting with the new Larry, rather than going thru all that one at a time   :-\

When you re-create, please note that RC 0.9.x allow extending skins so that you can focus on the modifications:

http://trac.roundcube.net/wiki/Doc_Skins#Extendingskins

Ken

Offline justicej

Add skin extension feature without a full upgrade?
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 02:34:07 PM »
Hi,
Anyone know if there is there a way to add the 'Extend a Skin' feature without a full upgrade to 0.9x?  Possibly by making a few modifications (replace files/code) that would enable this feature?  We are running 0.7.2 and attempting a full upgrade right now would be quite disruptive, however, I would really love to have the 'extend' feature...
Cheers!

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
Re: Add skin extension feature without a full upgrade?
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 02:44:56 PM »
Hi,
Anyone know if there is there a way to add the 'Extend a Skin' feature without a full upgrade to 0.9x?  Possibly by making a few modifications (replace files/code) that would enable this feature?  We are running 0.7.2 and attempting a full upgrade right now would be quite disruptive, however, I would really love to have the 'extend' feature...
Cheers!
Not easily, a lot has changed between 0.7.2 and 0.9.x, why can't you upgrade?

Offline justicej

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 04:26:13 PM »
Hey -thanks for the reply.  We have a ton on our plate and while a full upgrade may go well, it could be a lost day which we don't have at the moment.  I was hoping just to isolate the 'extend' function so as to add that feature only. Any ideas?

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 05:07:15 PM »
It would take over a day to go though the git history to find and modify all of the changes that make up the extend feature.

Offline justicej

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 09:49:36 PM »
Okay. Now I know.  I didn't realize this feature was spidered throughout the code.  Thought it might have been isolated.  Thanks for the help!

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 09:54:24 PM »
This is one reason I don't use custom skins. I do have a few things I edit, but I keep a documented list of which files I have changed, and what the change consists of. I can do a complete upgrade to the latest version in about 30 minutes, generally less.

As a side note on upgrading, I never actually upgrade, I always install fresh on a new copy of the out-going version's database. Using aliases in Apache, I can run both old and new simultaneously while I set up and test the new. Once I've got it all set up, edit the alias in the Apache config, restart Apache and the new version is live. No user downtime. Gives me a roll-back option too, should something break badly.
Arne Berglund
SysAdmin, Internet Services
Lane Education Service District
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 11:05:38 PM »
As a side note on upgrading, I never actually upgrade, I always install fresh on a new copy of the out-going version's database. Using aliases in Apache, I can run both old and new simultaneously while I set up and test the new. Once I've got it all set up, edit the alias in the Apache config, restart Apache and the new version is live. No user downtime. Gives me a roll-back option too, should something break badly.
Thats exactly the same method I use to "update" my RoundCube installs.