Author Topic: To/From/CC Lines do not truncate.  (Read 6734 times)

Offline jomega

To/From/CC Lines do not truncate.
« on: February 26, 2013, 12:45:20 PM »
Some of my users receive emails from government sources, which often have very large CC lines, as well as large To lines.  A typical government email address with name can have a substantial amount of information, containing the full name, employee status (government serviceman, military personnel, contractor or civilian) and sometimes the entire name of the command also project codes are common too.  You often see location information such as building and room number within the name portion of the email address.

What is happening is, with all that information and the extensive CC lines containing hundreds of emails to keep everyone involved 'in-the-loop', the TO and CC entries become so large that even if opening an email in it's own window, the body of the message can not be quickly read.

Is there is a way to truncate the CC and TO lines by a number of characters, when displaying an email?  This would reduce the header information and allow the message body to be viewed quickly in the event of a large number of recipients.

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
Re: To/From/CC Lines do not truncate.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 12:51:50 PM »
What version Roundcube are you using? This issue was addressed in one of the recent update releases. We are now running 0.8.5 and no longer have this issue.

EDIT - Looks like the fix was implemented in 0.8.2, see http://trac.roundcube.net/ticket/1488590
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 12:57:58 PM by ABerglund »
Arne Berglund
SysAdmin, Internet Services
Lane Education Service District
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline jomega

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 01:52:26 PM »
What version Roundcube are you using? This issue was addressed in one of the recent update releases. We are now running 0.8.5 and no longer have this issue.

EDIT - Looks like the fix was implemented in 0.8.2, see http://trac.roundcube.net/ticket/1488590

You know, I just updated to 0.8.5 a few minutes ago, from 0.8.1.  If this was addressed in 0.8.2 then perhaps my problem was solved on it's own. :)

Offline jomega

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 02:02:58 PM »

I just looked at a message with 0.8.5 that had around 70 email addresses in the TO field, it listed every single address without truncating the list.  So I still have a large header block.

Is there a new configuration field I have to set?

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 06:40:58 PM »
I don't recall any config needed. 0.8.5 is working fine for me. See attached.
Arne Berglund
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline jomega

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 08:04:49 PM »
I don't recall any config needed. 0.8.5 is working fine for me. See attached.

I think I see the problem, I'm using the classic theme and it's not collapsing the excessive lists in the classic theme.  I have to continue using the classic theme because it's faster and my vacation html file doesn't seem to display correctly in the new theme, even though I modeled it after other modules that do.

With the new theme, my vacation html looks like it's breaking out of it's parent div and taking and absolute position rather than being rendered within the content area.

So, I guess then I need to figure out how to fix the vacation module to render correctly with the new theme.  The truncation does work with the new theme, I was just playing with it.

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 11:26:18 PM »
I've already fixed that vacation plugin for the Larry skin. Let me find and post the fixes. Probably tomorrow.
Arne Berglund
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 11:37:06 PM »
I can't remember what all I changed, but here is what I'm using now. Give it a shot.
Arne Berglund
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline jomega

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 03:14:35 AM »
I can't remember what all I changed, but here is what I'm using now. Give it a shot.

The most obvious seems to be the larry skin in vacation/skins/ directory.  I copied over the css and template files so now it seems much more compatible.  Cleaned up the HTML a little, and the only thing left is to add x and y scrollbars, in the mean time I just reduced the size of the textarea.

Thanks for the help!  I have gone and changed the default skin to larry.

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 02:27:31 PM »
Happy I could help. If your CSS and such is better than mine, I'd love to see it. I'm not much more than a hacker on this stuff, love to learn from others.
Arne Berglund
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline jomega

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 04:59:43 PM »
Happy I could help. If your CSS and such is better than mine, I'd love to see it. I'm not much more than a hacker on this stuff, love to learn from others.

Well I haven't change it much myself yet.  Just the size of text areas so stuff fits within a window.  I do want scrollbars, if I get those working then I'll give those changes to you for sure.