Author Topic: Junk Mail folder  (Read 9251 times)

Offline yodabear

Junk Mail folder
« on: January 11, 2007, 09:11:08 AM »
Hi all,

I was searching about the working of the Junk Mail folder but i can't find anything about it.

How does this folder work?

Correct me if i am wrong but does it work like when the mail arrives on the mail server and it's spam, the mail server tags the subject with *** SPAM *** and then send it to the user? And when the user logs in to Roundcube, Roundcube see this spam tag and places it to the Junk folder?

If this is not the way it works, can someone please tell me how it works then?

Thx in advance!

Offline daashag

Re: Junk Mail folder
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 10:38:01 AM »
I don't thing RC is capable of filtering messages. The filtering needs to be done on the server side.

Offline yodabear

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 10:41:53 AM »
Quote from: daashag
I don't thing RC is capable of filtering messages. The filtering needs to be done on the server side.

Ok that makes sense, but how detects RC that something is spam? Because of the *** SPAM *** tag in de subject from SpamAssassin?

Offline daashag

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 10:58:51 AM »
I might be wrong, but RC doesn't do detection, thats the point. The detection and filtering needs to be done at the sever level. RC will just read what is already in your maildir folders. You can manually move mails with RC but it won't move them automatically.

Offline yodabear

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 11:23:09 AM »
Ok i understand.

But what is there a solution to configure my spam filter to put spam tagged messages into the junk mail folder?

We are using SpamAssassin.

Hope you have a solution for me.

Thx in advance!

Offline Niels_B

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 06:07:26 PM »
To answer that we need to know what mailserver you are using.
If qmail/vpopmail, you use maildrop to deliver tagged messages into junkmail folder.

Niels_B

Offline afrikarulz

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 03:22:37 PM »
I have qmail running with SpamAssassin, but I was wondering how I configured maildrop? Thanks.

Linux Platform

*EDIT*

I'm using a MediaTemple DV 3.0 that currently has Horde set as the default webmail client, but I have installed roundcube on one of my domains and set it up and it works perfectly. I just need to figure out how to move items that get tagged with ****SPAM**** into the Junk Folder on Roundcube automatically. Thanks.

Offline Atomfire

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 06:29:29 PM »
Being able to filter mail in roundcube on its own would be really usefull, as I can setup my mail server or spamassassin to do it but this causes problems for my pop3 users. If using a pop3 client it is easier and better to filter the mail on the client. Someone must know how to hack a simple filter like this until such time as a bonefide solution/plugin is available.