Author Topic: authentication failed  (Read 3963 times)

Offline ITrookie

authentication failed
« on: March 06, 2013, 11:32:31 AM »
Hi, I run a very small business and I use Roundcube for my mail. I tried to send an email monday evening and it said authentication failed error 535. I contacted the company I use as a server and they said I had to make sure SMTP authentication (sasl) was on and that my ssl has to be off. I haven't made ANY changes so I found the advice to be strange since nothing (that I know of) has changed. Well - I'm not a tech guy (at all!) and I don't know where to go to check this. I'm guessing this is a setting in my mail server (roundcube)? When I go to settings I don't see SASL or SSL settings. How do I fix this problem... I haven't been able to send 1 email since Monday night and it's (obviously) hurting my business. MANY THANKS to anybody that can help me!

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: authentication failed
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 12:23:08 PM »
Did you setup RoundCube or are you just using the RoundCube that your host provided?

Offline ITrookie

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 08:37:28 PM »
I'm a complete IT rookie... I think I just use the roundcube that was provided by my host. It's possible I downloaded it a long time ago and I don't remember... but I'm pretty sure it was just from my host. Feel free to talk to me like a child (or better yet a 60 year old man) when it comes to servers, smtp, sasl etc... I have 1 or 2 talents however technology isn't one of them. Thanks SO much for responding. It's GREATLY appreciated.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 03:19:19 AM »
You can't just download RoundCube you also have to install it which requires setting up databases and editing config files so if you had installed it you probably would have remembered. Which would mean that its provided by your host and without access to have config files (which end users can't modify) you can't do anything to fix the problem. The only thing you can do is ask your host to fix it.

Offline Miramar Sailing

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 02:32:11 PM »
Hi IT Rokie (that makes 2 of us) I have just posted more or less the same problem. No effective service since Monday March 4th. I too run a small business and my mail was set up by my webmaster who has been on holiday since last Saturday so most definitely nothing has changed. I know nothing but could it be Roundcube have reached their capacity and maybe we should find a different provider. My website are also hosted by Roundcube and I hate to think what my web surfers are experiencing. I.e. are they getting through to my sites or not??

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 06:24:19 PM »
My website are also hosted by Roundcube and I hate to think what my web surfers are experiencing. I.e. are they getting through to my sites or not??
Your website and email are NOT hosted by RoundCube. RoundCube is a webmail application you can download and install on your own web host not a service.