Author Topic: SERVICE CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE! Error 500  (Read 6070 times)

Offline paul_01

SERVICE CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE! Error 500
« on: April 11, 2013, 08:50:43 PM »
Hi,

I'm running Centos 6, Postfix, Dovecot and these guys "yum install amavisd-new clamav clamd razor-agents perl-Convert-BinHex"

I installed roundcubemail with yum and configured the whole setup as per this very useful tutorial.
http://www.campworld.net/thewiki/pmwiki.php/LinuxServersCentOS/Cent6VirtMailServer

Roundcubemail was working ok until recently but now shows an error when users login
SERVICE CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE! Error 500

I can't seem to locate the logs to check for errors- perhaps they are going to the general mail log. Debug level is set to 1. There is a folder in /var/log/roundcubemail but the time-stamps of the two files date from the original install.

Where should I look for clues? The MySQL database exists and the uname and password are in the roundcube config file.

Perhaps yum updated roundcube recently and something got screwed up. The error could well date from the last time I ran yum update.

thx

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
Re: SERVICE CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE! Error 500
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 10:27:47 PM »
It's very hard to troubleshoot something like this remotely, as I'm not familiar with how the RPM package was built and configured. I use yum a lot (support 30+ CentOS and RHEL servers), but I don't use yum to maintain Roundcube, it's much simpler and easier to maintain when it's installed from tarball.

But a 500 error sounds like a database problem. I'm wondering if an update was loaded that requires a change in the database schema, but yum doesn't do the DB update part? Does your yum installation include the installer directory? If so, enable the installer in the main.inc.php file, then open the installer in a browser and run the database schema check.

Also, check the permissions on the logs directories, they need to be writable by the apache user. The non-yum roundcube logs are kept in a logs directory inside the roundcubemail directory.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 10:31:36 PM by ABerglund »
Arne Berglund
SysAdmin, Internet Services
Lane Education Service District
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline paul_01

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 11:08:42 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Arne.

I'm a bit rusty when it come to yum. I'd be happy to re-install roundcube with the tar file. I don't have many users on this system and it wouldn't be disastrous to start again. What would be the best way to proceed, installing manually over the old version or doing a yum uninstall first?

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 12:23:50 AM »
Backup the database and both config files, and then do a yum remove. Then install from scratch. The tarball install will be self-contained, with logs and config directories inside the roundcubemail directory. Enable the installer and run it from a browser to verify the install and update the DB if needed. As long as you update and use the same database, you won't lose and user settings or contacts.
Arne Berglund
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline paul_01

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 02:55:54 PM »
Thanks Arne,

That was a big help. I decided to drop the old db entirely and did a clean install from the tarball. It helped that I had the old main.inc.php file.

I guess it may have been yum that messed things up.

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 10:58:28 PM »
Glad that helped. I vastly prefer the tarball install. Using that with apache aliases, I'm generally running at least three separate roundcube instances on the same server - generally a current production, the prior production (for possible rollback after an upgrade) and a recent beta/git/release candidate.
Arne Berglund
Eugene, OR, USA