Author Topic: Install: IMAP Authentication Failing… how to find out why…?  (Read 3992 times)

Offline glawrie

I'm installing Roundcube 0.9.0 on an OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion) Server running OS X Server 2.2.1

The install has gone smoothly up to step 3.  All looks good, except that any attempt to test the login to IMAP fails.  In the IMAP log the reason given for the failure is (auth failed).  Roundcube also reports authentication fails.

The account being used is valid.  Password correct.  Other sessions logging in successfully via IMAP clients etc.  Not sure how I track down where authentication is failing.

Have tried various configurations for the IMAP connection - secure (SSL) and open, using the FQDN of machine and %h, and a variety of valid users.  All fail.

Grateful if someone could give some suggestions about what might be going on, and how I can perhaps find out why the login is failing.

Thanks in advance.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: Install: IMAP Authentication Failing… how to find out why…?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 01:58:05 PM »
Enable imap_debug and post the log.

Offline glawrie

Re: Install: IMAP Authentication Failing… how to find out why…?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 03:40:44 PM »
Great - thanks! 

I wasn't sure what you meant (I worked it out eventually).  However while working it out, I searched the web for "imap_debug" and found a thread in the Apple Support discussions that addresses exactly my issue.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4424570?start=0&tstart=0

The issue seems to be that roundcube defaults to using a password method that doesn't agree with OS X's Open Directory authentication - you need to manually set it to use CRAM-MD5

Anyhow - Roundcube now working fine :D