Author Topic: Cannot click on column headings to change sorting  (Read 7231 times)

Offline cbfullerx

Cannot click on column headings to change sorting
« on: January 17, 2007, 03:07:33 PM »
Hello,

I just installed RC nightly-20070108, and I do not have the option to change the sort column in the webmail UI. Nor can I change the sort order. Is this feature available in this build? And/or do I need to configure something?

Any help is most appreciated.

Offline jpingle

Re: Cannot click on column headings to change sorting
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 02:35:43 PM »
The sort function is enabled or disabled automatically based upon your IMAP server's ability to sort messages.

You may want to check that whatever IMAP server program you are using has SORT capability and if so, that it is enabled and/or being listed to clients checking its compatibility.

I know Courier-IMAP, Dovecot and the like support sorting, and I know that BincIMAP does not. The rest I am not sure of.

Offline cbfullerx

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 06:46:35 PM »
My webhost told me that it is Courier and it does support and advertise SORT. Anything else to try?

Offline cheeks

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 07:58:43 PM »
I'm seeing the same thing in SVN 461. I'm using the UW IMAP server, which reports this capability set:

* CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LITERAL+ IDLE NAMESPACE MAILBOX-REFERRALS BINARY UNSELECT SCAN SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS STARTTLS AUTH=LOGIN

Mark

Offline jpingle

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 09:01:51 PM »
My working Courier-IMAP 4.0.6 install advertises like so:

Code: [Select]
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE ACL ACL2=UNION STARTTLS
I'm not sure what could be throwing it off. Capabilities are parsed in program/include/rcube_imap.inc - in the _parse_capability() function.

I tried the code by hand on both our capabilities strings and SORT was true on both. I don't have more time to go deeper along the path, but there are other places where the sort capability value is tested, it could be anywhere.

Offline cheeks

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 01:13:05 PM »
I found the cause of this problem in my environment. As I mentioned, we use UW IMAP as the imap server, but we also use perdition as a front-end proxy to a pile of IMAP servers. It turns out perdition gives a different capability response before
you log in than it does after you log in. The pre-login answer is set in the perdition config file. The post-login response
comes from the back-end imap server that you're talking to. (The reason for this is that perdition doesn't connect to the
back-end server until you've given your login name and password so it knows which back-end server to talk to).

The default pre-login capability response is:

* CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4REV1 STARTTLS

No "SORT". roundcube is getting the capabilities before logging in, so it thinks my server doesn't support sort.

I changed my perdition.conf to give the same capability answer as my back-end imap servers (they're all the same),
and now roundcube sorts the message list beautifully.

Thanks for the pointer to parse_capability() ... that helped in finding this.

Mark

Offline jpingle

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 01:58:55 PM »
You're welcome Mark - I'm glad it got straightened out.

There are so many different IMAP server configurations out there, it's hard to make sure they all work.

I'm not sure your case is the same as the OP's case though. You might want to open up a trouble ticket and explain your setup in detail there, someone may be able to come up with a solution that will work in the more general case. I'm sure somewhere down the line people in the same situation may have different IMAP servers behind the proxy and your solution may not be feasible...

Jim

Offline cbfullerx

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 02:33:38 AM »
As I mentioned, my mail host claims that IMAP does advertise SORT, but maybe they are unaware of conditions simliar to cheeks.

Is there a way for me to see exactly what is advertised? And how would I do this?

Offline cheeks

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 02:55:46 AM »
Yes, you can find out what roundcube sees when it talks to your imap server. Telnet to the imap
server on port 143, and issue the command "xyz capability". It will reply with the capability
list. For example:

Code: [Select]
<hiki> [208] ->telnet mymailserver.com 143
Trying ###.###.###.### ...
Connected to mymailserver.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK IMAP4 Ready ame8 0001deab
xyz capability
* CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4REV1 STARTTLS SORT
xyz OK CAPABILITY

This says my server supports IMAP4, IMAP4REV1, STARTTLS, and SORT.

Good luck,

Mark

Offline cbfullerx

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 03:02:21 AM »
I got:

xyz capability
* CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4REV1
xyz OK CAPABILITY

So I will contact my ISP again and see if they have some insight.