Author Topic: Password Rules  (Read 5831 times)

Offline brianstoiber

Password Rules
« on: June 12, 2013, 08:52:52 AM »
Can someone tell me what the rules are for a password. It seems like some dictionary words are allowed and some are not. Does it need to have at least 1 letter and 1 number? Does there have to be a punctuation mark in there? I wasn't able to find anything on the site and I would like to know what they need to have before I ask this company for a list of over 100 email addresses and passwords to set up all the accounts for them. This way I don't have to go back and ask them a second time to make their password stronger.

Offline rhamie

Re: Password Rules
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 09:00:36 AM »
Hi brainstoiber,

You will have to check the password config file (nano roundcube/plugins/password/config.inc.php) to see your current password ruless.
You should see something similar to this:

// Require the new password to be a certain length.
// set to blank to allow passwords of any length
$rcmail_config['password_minimum_length'] = 6;

// Require the new password to contain a letter and punctuation character
// Change to false to remove this check.

$rcmail_config['password_require_nonalpha'] = false;

Hopefully that helps.

Offline brianstoiber

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 09:28:48 AM »
I am not sure I have access to that. It is installed through DreamHost. I do have the standard installation of Roundcube Webmail 0.8.2. Is there any way to tell from that?

BTW, thanks for the quick reply.

Offline rhamie

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 10:16:49 AM »
I am not familiar with dreamhost but since you have a standard installation of roundcube then I guess you should have access to the roundcube files.

Using the file manager application from your panel,
go to your public_html directory (from here you can get the roundcube installation).

If roundcube is installed in a directory then it will be something like this : /public_html/<roundcube_directory/plugins/password>.
if not, then it will be /public_html/plugins/password

From either of those above as it applies to you,
locate the config.inc.php file.
View with an editor within the dreamhost panel (will recommend you download the file to your workstation to avoid you making changes to the file unknowingly).

Good luck

Offline brianstoiber

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 11:33:07 AM »
Unfortunately they do not allow access to the plugins on their Virtual Private Servers (VPS), only their dedicated servers.

Does anyone have access to this file that they can just show me the rules?

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 11:54:47 AM »
If you don't have access to the RoundCube files you'll need to ask your host, its not the same on every system.