Author Topic: Internet Explorer 6  (Read 7604 times)

Offline hal

Internet Explorer 6
« on: March 29, 2007, 05:11:19 PM »
Can anyone else tell me of their experiences using Internet Explorer 6 to view Roundcube webmail?

Personally, I always use Firefox, which works great, but if someone wants to use IE, roundcube tends to be sluggish, with icons flashing on and off for no reason during mouseovers and clicking on emails etc often becomes unresponsive.

I'd appreciate any feedback

Thanks
Hal

Offline hal

Re: Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 12:15:46 PM »
It would be nice if someone could help me with this.

Offline hal

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 12:10:54 PM »
Please would someone help me?

Offline r@burlco.org

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 12:43:11 AM »
Try this skin:

http://img.burlco.org/default.gif.tar.gz

...untar it in your skins directory and change $rcmail_config['skin_path'] to 'skins/default.gif/' in your config/main.inc.php file.

This is the default skin but with all PNGs converted to GIFs. It has a couple of problems but if IE6's lack of sane PNG alpha transparency support is giving you problems, it might be worth a try.

Having gone through the process of "making" this skin it's clear to me how sweet PNGs are (supported in Mozilla since 2001), and why RC uses them.

Offline hal

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 07:47:31 AM »
I really appreciate your input, burlco, but I am afraid this didn't resolve the issue. IE is still extremely slow. Although you may be correct that it has something to do with PNG files, as lots of the buttons flicker during mouseovers, I don't think this is the only issue involved.

Thank you very much for your post - I thought I was invisible in these forums for a while!! ;-)

Hal

Offline IMcomGuy

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 12:11:24 PM »
Strange button flickering could be caused by your browser settings. Try going to Tools --> Internet Options --> Settings, and where it says "Check for newer versions of stored pages" verify that you DO NOT have "Every time I visit the webpage" checked. This would cause your browser to check for new images every single time you load a new page. While some web developers and other technical personnel may frequently suggest this option, it will cause problems with certain javascript subroutines and image caching. Set this to "automatically", and your problem should go away. Your browser should then immediately cache these images on the next load and display them a bit smoother.

Hope this helps.

Offline hal

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 12:55:53 PM »
IMcomGuy - thank you so much; this was exactly the problem. The interface is much smoother since following your advice.
However, the icons do flash sometimes and, appartently, this can be solved by using the following method:
http://roundcubeforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1504.0

Kind wishees
Hal