Author Topic: Can't login / GMX / Imap  (Read 7035 times)

Offline xamxamxam

Can't login / GMX / Imap
« on: August 25, 2013, 09:05:01 AM »
hello,

i'm using roundcube on a shared hoster and i cannot seem to login to my gmx imap account.
i always get following error:

Code: [Select]
[23-Aug-2013 17:55:31 +0200]: IMAP Error: Login failed for XXXXX@gmx.net from 31.18.58.195. Could not connect to imap.gmx.net:993: Connection timed out in /home/XXXXX/public_html/roundcube/program/lib/Roundcube/rcube_imap.php on line 184 (POST /roundcube/?_task=login&_action=login)
i have tried both ports 143 and 993, with or without ssl, and have tried different login types (plain, null, MD5 etc), the ip adresse of the imap server instead of domain name, nothing seems to work.

in the beginning i got the error:

[22-Aug-2013 21:05:38 Europe/Berlin] PHP Warning:  date() [<a href='function.date'>function.date</a>]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Berlin' for 'CEST/2.0/DST' instead in /home/XXXXX/public_html/roundcube/program/lib/Roundcube/rcube.php on line 1019
so i set my date.timezone in my php.ini and now i just get the "connection timed out" error, i am just saying because i have heard that it causes trouble if the server timezone is different to my imap server timezone. but even if i match them i still get the "connection timed out" error.

since i had to shutdown suhosin.session.encrypt, i had to create my own php.ini, maybe there is a setting there which i have configured wrong?

i cant seem to post my config oder php.ini, because my post would be too long
maybe someone has had a similar problem and has a clue?

thank your very much in advance!
greets,
max

specs:
Apache version   2.2.24
PHP version   5.3.26
MySQL version   5.1.70-cll

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
Re: Can't login / GMX / Imap
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 05:23:12 AM »
[23-Aug-2013 17:55:31 +0200]: IMAP Error: Login failed for XXXXX@gmx.net from 31.18.58.195. Could not connect to imap.gmx.net:993: Connection timed out in /home/XXXXX/public_html/roundcube/program/lib/Roundcube/rcube_imap.php on line 184 (POST /roundcube/?_task=login&_action=login)

connection timeout would suggest something is blocking the connection, most likely a firewall. You should check with your webhost and see if they allow connections from the webserver to external imap servers.
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and moreā€¦

Offline xamxamxam

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 01:12:31 PM »
my webhost says it should be no problem because:
"[...] the mailserver on our server uses the same ports, seems a settings issue in your roundcube"
does anyone have an idea what settings i could check out?
or what other logs i could look into? are there imap logs or anything similar?
i would be very very grateful for any other advice, since i am paying for my webspace which is pretty much useless without the webmail client  :(

greets,
max

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 01:43:15 PM »
Have you tried using TLS? And are you using the correct string in the config?

$rcmail_config['default_host'] = 'ssl://imap.gmx.net:993';
Or

$rcmail_config['default_host'] = 'tls://imap.gmx.net:993';
Arne Berglund
SysAdmin, Internet Services
Lane Education Service District
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline xamxamxam

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 08:55:16 PM »
i have tried both SSL and TLS, and i've tried very many "default_host" variations, with the protocol, without the protocol, with port, with no port, both 143 and 993.
i've also checked different authentication methods, plain, null, cram md5
hasn't worked yet....

Offline oldschool

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 04:21:51 AM »
Hi!

If it's a free account, only pop3 will work.
RC is an IMAP-client...

Rgds.

Offline xamxamxam

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 05:50:51 AM »
i'm paying, it's definitely an IMAP account
thanks for the reply though
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 05:52:41 AM by xamxamxam »