Author Topic: Folders Not Showing after moving to a new hosting company  (Read 2936 times)

Offline TerriInVa

Folders Not Showing after moving to a new hosting company
« on: September 16, 2013, 11:51:58 PM »
Hi!  I in the process of moving to a new hosting company.  I use RoundCube for my mail program.  I've copied my emails using ftp and that was successful - I can see my emails.  At my old hosting company, I had several folders set-up for emails that I had read, and I don't see those folders at my new site.

For example, under my main email address there are several folders for emails saved by person.  I see these folders in my cPanel under File Manager in the format of .terriinva@mywebsite.Doug.  These folders are not in my /mail directory.  I've also tried to download these folders using ftp and they won't download.

I'd appreciate any help.  Thanks so much.

Terri

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: Folders Not Showing after moving to a new hosting company
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 04:45:24 AM »
Since you just copied the mail directory using ftp you may need to re-subscribe to the folders in RoundCube, it may also be a permissions problem.

Offline TerriInVa

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 02:39:04 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already subscribed to the folders.  It was a great idea!

My new hosting site says the folders can't be moved. 

My old hosting site says the new hosting site has everything they need to move the folders in the cPanel backup.

So, I suppose I have to either live without five years of important emails or stay with my old hosting company.

I can't believe I'm the only person who has wanted to their their stored/filed emails with them when moving to a new host.

Thanks so much for your help. 

Terri

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 01:34:18 PM »
My guess is that the new hoster uses a different directory structure than the old. The old may have supported sub folders being in the Inbox (Inbox/sub-folder), but the new host may use separate folders at the same level as the Inbox.

Try creating a new folder in Roundcube, and then go in with FTP or File Manager and see where and how it was created. Then try to copy the messages into the new folder using File Manager. See if that works.
Arne Berglund
SysAdmin, Internet Services
Lane Education Service District
Eugene, OR, USA