Author Topic: php.ini memory_limit  (Read 11423 times)

Offline trolley

php.ini memory_limit
« on: June 27, 2006, 01:00:01 PM »
I'm running Roundcube on a Debian box that has the following line in the php.ini:

Code: [Select]
memory_limit = 8M   ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (8MB)
I've found that when opening emails with even modest sized attachments (~3MB) Roundcube runs out of memory. In fact I have to raise this memory limit considerably (I've currently settled on 48MB) to be able to open an attachment that is 5.2MB. What is the recommended size for this memory limit for use with Roundcube? Will I have problems with it being set so high?

Offline bpat1434

• Administrator
Re: php.ini memory_limit
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 02:11:23 PM »
No problems setting it high, unless your system is not a high-end system (having little RAM). So 48 is okay, 32 is what most people would use. But it's up to you. Hopefully in the future the attachments won't be read at the same time as the mail ;)

Offline OneWay

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 02:58:42 AM »
Quote from: Brett
No problems setting it high, unless your system is not a high-end system (having little RAM). So 48 is okay, 32 is what most people would use. But it's up to you. Hopefully in the future the attachments won't be read at the same time as the mail ;)

Hi Brett,

I've been frantically asking questions on SMF and Tiny Portal about a problem that's started on my forum, with one of two different messages:

Stack overflow at line: 426
Out of memory at line: 397

Load time greatly increased and having to click off the error message means the forum is basically unusable. The problem shows in IE6 but NOT in the latest Firefox!

Advice to increase memory in my PHP.INI file to 16M has not helped.

I've now got these lines in PHP.INI:

Code: [Select]
register_globals = off
allow_url_fopen = off
max_execution_time = 30 ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
max_input_time = 60 ; Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data
memory_limit = 32M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (8MB)

still without success.

I'm at a loss to know what else to do. Some webpages talk about Apache having to be restarted or something. GoDaddy where I have Linux hosting use Apache I think. I don't know if this has anything to do with anything, but I'm sure getting DESPERATE!

Offline bpat1434

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 10:41:07 PM »
GoDaddy is a registrar... it's what they do best.... hosting is not their forte...

A good solid host would work better than godaddy.

Not sure of what your next steps should be... i'd ask GoDaddy and see what they say. If you need a good host, I suggest Servage.net

Offline digitalslave

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 11:51:21 PM »
where is this file located? i think i need to up my limit as well...

Offline flosoft

• http://flosoft.biz
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 03:39:10 AM »
Browse your machine for php.ini
On Linux: locate php.ino

Offline digitalslave

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 07:17:20 PM »
ah sorry i found it - was thinking it was supposed to be part of roundcube for some reason...