Author Topic: My Big Fat Roundcube Project  (Read 6650 times)

Offline dogcow

My Big Fat Roundcube Project
« on: May 03, 2007, 06:02:57 PM »
 :D

The beauty of open-source software is that you can take it and change it to do what you want it to do.

Here's the story: I already use Roundcube as the webmail for my site, which offers email accounts to all the users. I already have a pseudo-login page where the user only needs to enter his password to get to his webmail. This page is not connected to Roundcube and thus does not set the cookie which means that the user generally has to enter his password again (Error: Your browser does not accept cookies)

So, I am going to do a pretty big update to my site, and I want to assimilate Roundcube into it.

Here is what I am going to do:

* Stream-line the login:
Members who login to my site are also automatically logged into Roundcube, so all they have to do is click the Webmail link and their inbox loads. When the user logs out, his Roundcube session is also terminated.

* Theme it to match my site:
Currently Roundcube theme uses a lot of advanced CSS which I am not familiar with. I am going to learn how to change it to match my site.

* Internal emails:
 Since everyone else on my site also has an email address, I am going to add a little function so if you are sending email to foobar@macgui.com, you can drop the domain name, and the mail will be sent to his account. This will make the lives of lazy people a bit easier.

* Address Book sync:
 There are about three address book-type functions on my site. I want there to be just one master Book. 'Nuff said.

* New email notification:
 Since users may not always have their inbox open, why not have a little update to let them know? Basically this will be a cron script that grabs all currently online users, opens IMAP, checks if they have any new messages, then updates the users table in the database. When the system detects new messages, a little icon will appear on the site saying something like, "You have 3 new emails"

* Password changes and other settings:
 I want users to be able to change both password and settings from Roundcube and my main site's Preferences page.

* Relative dates:
 I love these and my whole main site uses them. Instead of an absolute date like 03 May 2007, the date/time will say 4 minutes ago or 1 week ago, or 5 months ago, etc. This will make the lazy people happy. Of course, there is a small Javascript function which switches between relative and absolute dates.

This is what I'm going to do, so I hope it gives other people who also use Roundcube some good ideas!

Offline bpat1434

• Administrator
Re: My Big Fat Roundcube Project
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 08:18:17 PM »
I would be careful with the password changes. Some users might think they're changing the IMAP and/or roundcube password(s) when they're really changing the main site password.

Sounds like a big update. Let us know how it goes.

Offline dogcow

Re: My Big Fat Roundcube Project
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 01:01:55 PM »
Quote from: Brett
I would be careful with the password changes. Some users might think they're changing the IMAP and/or roundcube password(s) when they're really changing the main site password.

Every user has the same password thoughout the entire site, so they should think that. ;)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 01:27:29 PM by dogcow »