Author Topic: Require fully email address on login  (Read 4716 times)

Offline jamess

Require fully email address on login
« on: November 12, 2013, 09:54:44 AM »
Hi there,

I'm a new Roundcube user (ver 0.8.6). It's installed through Plesk in a shared hosting environment.

One problem I've run into is that users often login with just a username. In that scenario, emails are sent from the localhost, rather than their domain.

I see two resolutions. The first, which seems the most obvious, is to require a full email address on login. It seems like this would have been solved before, but I couldn't find a recipe in these forums. Does anyone have advice?

The other resolution would be to auto fill the domain, based on the host. I did see something about that here (link below), but haven't tried it yet because I prefer the prior solution.
http://www.roundcubeforum.net/index.php/topic,5450.msg21732.html#msg21732

Best regards,
James

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
Re: Require fully email address on login
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 02:51:23 PM »
I see two resolutions. The first, which seems the most obvious, is to require a full email address on login. It seems like this would have been solved before, but I couldn't find a recipe in these forums. Does anyone have advice?

Roundcube does not perform any authentication itself, it passes entered credentials to your IMAP server which is where the username is defined.

The other resolution would be to auto fill the domain, based on the host. I did see something about that here (link below), but haven't tried it yet because I prefer the prior solution.
http://www.roundcubeforum.net/index.php/topic,5450.msg21732.html#msg21732

There are configuration options for both the username domain (the domain added to the username before it is sent to the IMAP server if the user has not entered one) and the mail domain. The mail domain is the domain used when creating the initial identity for the user when they first login. There is also a plugin - new_user_identity which allows admins to force a new user to setup their identity when they login for the first time and other plugins which allow for Roundcube to get identity information from another source and use that to create the initial setup for the user.

The issue you are talking about is simply a configuration problem not a bug.
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and moreā€¦

Offline jamess

Re: Require fully email address on login
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 07:17:25 PM »
Right. I don't think this is a bug. In a single host environment, it wouldn't be much of an issue either.

If the user doesn't add his/her domain to their username (full email) when they login, it will still send email, but it comes from the localhost, which is undesirable because responses bounce.

It would seem the simplest solution would be to add a JavaScript validation on the username input, since this is not security critical (just user convenience critical). Does any one have an update for that, ready to plugin?

Thank you,
James