Author Topic: Japanese email - getting "ISO-2022-JP" setting to stick?  (Read 3405 times)

Offline douglerner

Japanese email - getting "ISO-2022-JP" setting to stick?
« on: December 28, 2006, 05:14:38 AM »
Hi. I am using RoundCube for the first time with a hosting service I just signed up with. I tried Horde, Squirrel and RoundCube and RoundCube was the only one that seemed to consistently work with sending and receiving Japanese email.

To get this to work, I need to:

(1) Make sure my browser is set to UTF-8 and

(2) Make sure that each time I compose a message I select the ISO-2022-JP charset.

It would sure help a lot if there was some way of getting the ISO-2022-JP selection to stick. It seems to default to UTF-8 with each new message though. Is there any way of having a user-settable default for the charset?

Or are there any other "best practices" people can recommend for sending and receiving Japanese email?

Also, I notice there are language settings for the UI, but Japanese is not among them. Does anybody know of any? My hosting service is very cooperative and I'm sure they would be willing to add language "skins" if they were available!

Thanks!

Doug Lerner

Offline Jin597

Re: Japanese email - getting "ISO-2022-JP" setting to stick?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 09:50:26 PM »
Hi Doug,
I use Japanese quite often in my mails, but I just send them out as UTF8. This works 99% of the time. I find it vary rare that users can not read UTF8 mail... HOWEVER, if you are sending a lot to keitai's (docomo, sofbank, au) then I can definitely see a need for the ISO-2022-JP encoding. I will poke around the back end to find a way to make that the default setting.

As to a Japanese UI, if you are will to make the Japanese text, I will find a way to incorporate it into a UI :) 頑張って!

Cheers,

Jonathan