Author Topic: Strange rendering poblems with Internet Explorer  (Read 6622 times)

Offline hierogrammate

Strange rendering poblems with Internet Explorer
« on: June 08, 2007, 05:45:43 AM »
I downloaded roundcubemail-0.1-rc1.1.tar.gz yesterday and managed to install it with little trouble. It looks beautiful in Firefox, being able to read and send e-mails. Then I tested it in IE6 and IE7, and the pages were horribly rendered (the problem was the same on both browsers).

In Firefox the login screen appears centered, in IE its left justified:

Firefox renders the left sidebar and main content area (inbox) the way it should:

Then in both IE 6 and 7:

Even the message window has issues: the text appears ugly, typewriter-like:

Just as bad if I try to reply or compose a new message, since the text box only appears partially open:

The address book doesn't appear as fully open either:

Since I haven't found anything about this when I searched the forum, I guess the problem is probably on my end... but what? I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to fix it.

Regards,

Edwin

Offline hierogrammate

Re: Strange rendering poblems with Internet Explorer
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 04:09:41 PM »
Tried roundcube-rev495.tar.gz just to experiment, same problem. Could this be CSS related?

I'd welcome any insights on this issue :'(

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 10:15:36 PM »
Yes this is a problem with the css I am using RC1 I and have no problems, I am looking into why its not working on all severs

Offline hierogrammate

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 12:49:22 AM »
Quote from: SKaero
Yes this is a problem with the css I am using RC1 I and have no problems, I am looking into why its not working on all severs

Well, I'll keep an eye on this project then. It's exactly what I was looking for: a feast for the eyes, gets the job done, and a deceptively simple interface perfect for the computer-challenged users I had in mind. :)

You are right, though. It has to be related with something in my server (I have the site hosted at Arvixe.com), because when I logged in and opened your 0.1-beta2 demo client with IE it looked the way it SHOULD. Frustrating :-\ (Oh and, yes, I also tried 0.1-beta2 in my hosting server, just in case... no change.)

It looks perfect both in Firefox and Opera, though. Sometimes, I really REALLY hate IE.

Ed

Offline mimoson999

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 09:16:31 PM »
I noticed that the problem was only with Spanish lang and it's not about css it's about the codification of the lang files.

the spanish files are wrong codified and whole page it's interpreted wrong by internet explorer (one of the worst applications in the world).

the solution that must be implemented in future versions of this fantastic webmail:

take the files labels.inc and messages.inc of the Spanish lang and save them as ANSI (before are in UTF8) with notepad++ (I think windows notepad can't do it well and I don't use it but you can try). roundcube only accept lang files codified in ANSI charset

Offline hierogrammate

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 08:43:39 AM »
Hmm... I wasn't using the Spanish translation (though I planned to)... but I'll try that with both the Eng and the Span lang files. Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline rafota

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 11:17:26 AM »
mimoson999 is right, there is a problem with the spanish translation. You can repair it simply removing the first character of labels.inc and messages.inc.

It worked for me...

Offline joseant

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 04:48:15 PM »
Quote from: rafota
mimoson999 is right, there is a problem with the spanish translation. You can repair it simply removing the first character of labels.inc and messages.inc.

It worked for me...

YES, too work for me but have problem with special spanish characters, for example:

El campo \"Asunto\" esta vac\\u00edo.
but the correct is

El campo \"Asunto\" esta vacío.

i use ISO-8859-1

Offline hierogrammate

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 08:44:43 PM »
It didn't work for me. I changed both the "es" and "en_US" language files to ANSI and it didn't solve the problem. I tried Unicode too, no change.

Still, I'm not sure if this really applies to my case. Like I said, I am able to see perfectly in Internet Explorer both the 0.1-beta2 demo page at http://demo.roundcube.net/, and the SVN Rev. 495 version demo at https://flosoft.biz/webmail/. I downloaded those same versions for testing, put them online in my webhost... and they look all screwy like the screen captures I showed at the top of this post.

If the only thing that's different between those demos and my page is the server they're in, then I assume that the problem lies with my webhost (what, I have no idea). Here are the versions used by my webhost:

Apache version 1.3.37 (Unix)
PERL version    5.8.7
PHP version    4.4.6
MySQL version    4.1.21-standard

Could it be that RoundCube needs PHP 5 or MySQL 5 instead? Or maybe the MySQL collation used is the culprit (it is currently utf8_unicode_ci)?

Looks like I'll have to sit this one out until the next version. :-\

Offline javoux

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 02:41:23 PM »
Quote from: joseant

YES, too work for me but have problem with special spanish characters, for example:

El campo \"Asunto\" esta vac\\u00edo.
but the correct is

El campo \"Asunto\" esta vacío.

i use ISO-8859-1

joseant: i was in the same situation... and had the exact problem with the specail spanish chareters.
I corrected the problem changing the files labels.inc and messages.inc with files taken from SVN (in 26/10/06)
Those have the correct encoding. I attach those files in a zip, hope it works.
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one that is most adaptable to change. Charles Darwin.

Offline joseant

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 05:08:35 AM »
THANKS!!!! JAVOUX :D

Regards!

Offline pilsung

Solution for the bug in the Spanish language
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 08:09:10 AM »
I've posted a solution for the bug in the Spanish language:
roundcubeforum.net/forum?topic=1636.msg7672#msg7672