Author Topic: TinyMCE Intergration  (Read 56827 times)

Offline brashquido

TinyMCE Intergration
« on: July 20, 2006, 09:33:44 AM »
I know there is apparently a patch to enable intergration (not that I've been able to find a live link for it) of TinyMCE with RoundCube, but I think it would be really great if this was taken on board as an official option. With TinyMCE comes a whole range of really nifty plugins which bolster the functionality of RoundCube a great deal. Just my 2c...

P.S - If anyone knows where I can find detailed instruction for intergrating TinyMCE with RoundCube, I'd really appreciate it.

Offline flosoft

• http://flosoft.biz
Re: TinyMCE Intergration
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 09:50:21 AM »
TinyMCE isn't working on all browsers.

But it would be nice to have it as user option. So in your profile you can enable / disable it.

Offline EricS

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 11:50:13 AM »
I've been working for a couple months on integrating TinyMCE into RoundCube. TinyMCE has its quirks, but overall it's a nice editor. My working copy is in a fairly stable state right now - you can download it here (it's based on Subversion rev276 plus my changes):

http://stadtherr.bounceme.net/files/roundcubemail_r276.tar.gz

I've tested it on Firefox and Safari. Firefox support is solid. Safari has some known JavaScript issues, but the TinyMCE developers have an ongoing dialog with Apple to try to resolve some of the issues. I have heard that it works well with Opera 9, but I haven't done much firsthand testing with that browser. I've done no testing with IE.

When I get time, I hope to be able to extend TinyMCE to understand and display pictures that are attachments to an e-mail message. If there are any TinyMCE-savvy developers out there, I would appreciate volunteers... ;)

I appreciate any feedback...

-Eric

Offline nipun_jain

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 01:35:45 PM »
Did googiespell work for you while sending html messages with tinyMCE? I have too integrated tinyMCE with RC and spell check didn't work. I tried your release and it doesn't seem to work on it too.

Offline brashquido

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 08:17:07 PM »
Browser compatibility is always going to be a concern, but 95% of my traffic is either IE or Firefox which don't seem to have a problem with it. Opera is concern for me at around 3%, but that should lessen over time as Opera 9+ becomes the norm for those users. As suggested anyway I think the implementation of any RTE should be only as an option, selectable in preferences or something like that by the user.

Thanks for the link Eric! I'll try and get a look at it over the weekend. Have you tried loading any of the extra TinyMCE plugins, such as the AJAX spellchecker?

Offline EricS

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 04:33:25 PM »
A couple answers:
  • I haven't done anything with spell checking.  I'm not much of a spellchecker user myself, so it's been near the bottom of my list... ;) I haven't done enough research into the GoogieSpell interface and how well it handles HTML formatted text. Any idea how the spellchecker plugin works?
  • The only 3rd party plugin I've played with is the blockquote plugin, which is very simplistic and would need some enhancements to be usable within RC. I have played with some of the bundled plugins and they work great.
Thanks for the feedback! Hopefully we can combine forces here...

Offline hanalei

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 07:36:51 PM »
Hi there

I just installed this and it's freakin awesome.

Two questions:
When tyring to remove some text from the responses (say when there's too many replies), I get a wrapper box so to speak around the entire quoted text and I need to double click in order to edit anything in there. Anything off the top of your head as to why?
Do you think it would be hard to patch new SVN releases? I don't expect that you will for every single one, so I may attempt it if a new one isn't posted down the road.

Thanks for the hack!

Offline EricS

Re: TinyMCE Integration
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 01:01:04 PM »
I created another snapshot using revision 282 from Subversion:

http://stadtherr.bounceme.net/files/roundcubemail_r282.tar.gz

I'll probably create another one once there's another relatively stable revision.

Enjoy!
-Eric

Offline markg85

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 10:47:41 PM »
nice :) but what files do you edit to include this?

Offline EricS

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 10:23:44 AM »
This tarball is a full working copy, and not just a patch. You should be able to "overlay" it on an existing install, or treat it as a fresh installation. If you're starting from scratch, you should be able to follow the normal installation instructions and not have to do anything different. The TinyMCE files are included within the program/js/tiny_mce directory.

-Eric

Offline markg85

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 11:26:14 AM »
i know that it`s a full working copy :) that`s why i asked what files you changed because i want to try it with some other revisions.. mainly the last one (188)

Offline EricS

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 12:25:21 PM »
Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I have made moderately significant changes to numerous files to enable the integration, which makes a patch difficult to manage. Here are the files I've changed/added, beyond the addition of the program/js/tiny_mce directory:
Code: [Select]
M   program/include/bugs.inc
M   program/include/main.inc
M   program/include/rcube_imap.inc
M   program/include/rcube_shared.inc
M   program/lib/Mail/mime.php
M   program/lib/html2text.inc
M   program/localization/en_US/messages.inc
M   program/localization/en_US/labels.inc
A   program/js/editor.js
M   program/js/app.js
M   program/steps/mail/func.inc
M   program/steps/mail/sendmail.inc
M   program/steps/mail/compose.inc
M   skins/default/templates/compose.html
M   index.php
I'll try to make another snapshot with rev288 soon.

Offline markg85

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 05:08:46 PM »
thanx :) another question.. how did you generated that list? (i never get that working with winmerge... or do you do it in linux.?? anyway.. how?)

Offline EricS

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 06:21:31 PM »
That's the output of the "svn status" command, run from the top level of my Subversion working copy at the command line (in my case, on MacOS X). If you don't have subversion, you could probably still use "diff -r" to compare to another entire installation. If you're on Windows, you can either install cygwin and use its Subversion client, or use something like "TortoiseSVN."

Offline markg85

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 06:33:54 PM »
i have no idea how to do it with tortoise svn :P
but can you make diff files next time :P that`s probly alot easyer to implant in a next revision..

EDIT:://

i finally got the diff stuff working.. i have a 1.5MB big diff file now that should patch the revision with the tinymce thing..
it`s so big because files that didn`t exist are in the diff... gonna test it now :)