Author Topic: Time spent on "Refreshing…"  (Read 3149 times)

Offline tyuhas

Time spent on "Refreshing…"
« on: May 12, 2014, 04:52:48 PM »
Hi,

We're running a 1.0 installation, no caching, and IMAP proxy as a web client to Gmail.  Everything seems to work fine with only one real issue: when "Refreshing" (either automatically or through the Refresh button), it takes around 25 secs to complete the operation.  The issue would be lessened if other operations could be performed at the same time but pretty much the user is locked out until the refresh is done.

The caching options didn't seem to do much with respect to this operation so that's why it's off.  I couldn't find anything in the Performance wiki that seems to make any difference on refresh times.

While it is checking all folders for new messages (and I can appreciate how expensive that is), when I login, Roundcube is ready-to-go in < 3 seconds.  I've been using that as a benchmark as w/o caching, Roundcube would have to load up everything on startup by access the IMAP server.  If anything I'd have thought a Refresh operation would take less time.

Online alec

Re: Time spent on "Refreshing…"
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 02:09:02 AM »
1. You can disable refreshing in Preferences > User Interface.
2. You can make it to check only current folder not all in Preferences > Mailbox View > New Message.

Offline tyuhas

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 05:55:31 PM »
Thanks for the steps!  Even when configured with only checking the one folder for new messages, the "Checking for new messages..." or "Refreshing..." prompts still stay up for around the same amount of time as when it does it for all folders (maybe a few seconds less).

Online alec

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 02:29:09 AM »
Enable imap_debug and check the log to see which operation is so slow.

Offline tyuhas

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 11:56:58 AM »
Enabled imap debug and noticed that all my folders are being checked for new messages regardless of the status of the "Check all folders for new messages" checkbox.  Also seems that the config.inc.php option being true or false still checks all the folders.

The good news is that the operation timing seems to be justified as it is checking everything; just that the option to not do that doesn't seem to work for us.