Author Topic: "Can't send message"-problem  (Read 7045 times)

Offline koax

"Can't send message"-problem
« on: August 06, 2007, 12:47:46 PM »
Hi there,

i searched for some forum posts concerning the same topic but i couldn't find so i created a new one.

first i have to say that RC is a wonderful thing. it`s pretty awesome, has lots of features and nice skins.
i'm a real newbie to webmail installations but i tried for one of my websites to install RC.
so the fact is, i use gmail. it`s nice but "they" scan my emails and that`s something i don't like. i have nothing to hide, but i believe people have the right for privacy.

ok. back to roundcube.
i tried the installation (release canditate 1) 2-3 times till a managed to get to the "login"-screen and i was so happy that i managed to login my account and everything worked.
but then i tried to send a message and the system was telling me: "Can't send message"
i even can't tell what`s in the error logs cause there are no files in that directory.
so i think there is a problem with my smtp account.
when i leave the $rcmail_config['smtp_server'] = ' ' blank, everything works and php mail is doing it`s work. but i would like to have smtp cause i believe its safer then phpmail.
I use a plesk 7.5.3. system with mysql and qmail as webmail server software. so i believe that i have smtp-service in my webhost package. so they told me from my web-host support.
but it still doesn't work.

any help would be fine,
thx.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: "Can't send message"-problem
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 01:37:01 PM »
Is the log directory writable?

Offline koax

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 02:25:31 PM »
ok. ups. sorry. simple seem to be a somtetimes absent person. ;-)
i just made the log directory writeable. and...

here comes the error log:
[06-Aug-2007 20:07:01 +0200] SMTP Error: SMTP error: Connection failed: Failed to connect socket: No such file or directory in /home/httpd/vhosts/helve.org/httpdocs/mail/program/steps/mail/sendmail.inc on line 340

can anybody tell me what this error log means?

Offline koax

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 07:23:43 AM »
this is the part of the "sendmail.inc" file where the error occurs:

338  // log error
339  if (!$sent)
340   raise_error(array('code' => 800, 'type' => 'smtp', 'line' => __LINE__, 'file' => __FILE__,
341            'message' => "SMTP error: ".join("\n", $smtp_response)), TRUE, FALSE);
  }

Offline them

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 10:02:26 AM »
just installed the application and I also getting this error
[24-Sep-2007 07:57:04 -0600] SMTP Error: SMTP error: Connection failed: Failed to connect socket: Connection refused in /home/******/public_html/vmail/program/steps/mail/sendmail.inc on line 340

Has anyone found a fix.?

Offline Galne

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 04:56:27 PM »
Hi I´ve had som problems whit sending mail with roundcube and finally had time to sit down and look into it.

I´ve got the same message:
[21-Oct-2007 22:46:11 +0200] SMTP Error: SMTP error: Connection failed: Failed to connect socket: Connection refused in /var/www/html/rcmail/program/steps/mail/sendmail.inc on line 340

And in the sendmail.inc I´ve gott the following lines:
338  // log error
339  if (!$sent)
340   raise_error(array('code' => 800, 'type' => 'smtp', 'line' => __LINE__, 'file' => __FILE__,
341            'message' => "SMTP error: ".join("\n", $smtp_response)), TRUE, FALSE);
342  }

Soo if someones got an unser i would be were happy!! :)

BRG Henrik

Offline franzzup

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 06:25:48 PM »
How have you configured RC to send emails?

It will either use the mail() function built into PHP, or it will connect to an external SMTP server if one is specified in the config file (config/main.inc.php). I suspect you haven't configured an SMTP server and PHP on your web host doesn't have its mail() facility configured properly.

Have you tried configuring an external SMTP server in the RC config file? You could use whatever SMTP server you normally use to send email. (You would probably need to set the SMTP username and password as well.)

Best,
Franzzup

Offline Galne

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 04:11:39 PM »
I´ve configd it to use my smtp server which I can send thru with Thunderbid on the same IMAP account. Told RC to use %u och %p in sending thru smtp allso. Maybe I should try to send with out smtp and just php.. For testing purpose!

Tried with just PHP and it did work, but with smtp it didn´t. :( Have tried booth with and with out SSL!

Offline franzzup

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 08:44:17 AM »
Did you make sure you are using an authentication method (e. g. PLAIN, CRAM-MD5) that your SMTP server supports?

Can you get access to the SMTP server log? That might help you diagnose the problem.

Best,
Franzzup