Author Topic: On upgrading to a more stable release? How do I do it!!!!  (Read 5681 times)

Offline paritycheck

On upgrading to a more stable release? How do I do it!!!!
« on: August 15, 2007, 02:54:11 AM »
Hi guys... the last SVN I downloaded was quite a while ago it was SVN 541 and since then I've been working on it made a number of tweaks and changes for my company's project.. but so far we've had problems with the release being very slow. I noticed that a number of new SVNs have come out and now feel that I need to upgrade.. trhe problem is that I'm not so sure how to do this as I've made major changes in a lot of files. Could anyone give me step by step pointers or some advice on how to get this about i.e. upgrading from my version plus which version /subversion is the most stable so far and least memory intensive.

The major problem which I'm having with my downloaded version is that it gets pretty slow at times...

Offline Florianer

Re: On upgrading to a more stable release? How do I do it!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 03:03:39 AM »
Hi,
ja... 541 is a little bit old ;) I guess, this is not, what you wanted to hear, but I don't think, there is any possibility to upgrade to the last SVN. My advise would be: Look up your modifications, where they are, in which file and what they do. Write is down is something. Download a SVN and try to find the files and positions you made changes in your version and apply them as possible. That could be some work but in my eyes, the only way to do so.

OK, one more, but this will be much more work, because its the other way of modifying the files: You could go to http://trac.roundcube.net/trac.cgi/browser and check every file, if it is newer than yours. If so, use the compare function to your SVN and apply the changes. But I don't think, that this will make you happier than the first idea...
it\'s not a bug - it\'s a feature

Offline dano

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 12:13:57 PM »
This is the problem with making changes to unreleased packages.

If the files you modified have not been changed since SVN 541 then they don't need to be replaced.

If you can do a file compare against the original files for SVN 541 that should speed things up quite a bit for you but you'll still have to apply those changes to the new files.

Offline knuckles

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 05:35:31 PM »
I've been using the same bash script I 'coded' with SVN since before 541, and it has worked fine. That said, without knowing what changes you made, I'm not sure how seamless of an upgrade it would be.

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh
cd /home/xxx/public_html/xxx.net/roundcube
svn checkout [url]https://svn.roundcube.net/trunk[/url]
rm -rf index.php.stable program.stable skins/default.stable
mv index.php index.php.stable
mv program program.stable
mv skins/default skins/default.stable
mv trunk/roundcubemail/index.php ./
mv trunk/roundcubemail/program ./
mv trunk/roundcubemail/skins/default skins
mv skins/default.stable/images/roundcube_logo.png skins/default/images
mv skins/default.stable/images/favicon.ico skins/default/images
rm -rf trunk

Offline paritycheck

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 06:04:44 AM »
I see what you mean... so far I'm doing it as you guys said.. remodifying the latest release. It makes more sense to modify the latest version with modifications I know I've made rather than worry about new modifications in the latest version which I'm pretty clueless to.

Thanks for the tip guys...