Author Topic: Infomation on first use  (Read 5540 times)

Offline fentex

Infomation on first use
« on: August 15, 2007, 06:56:30 PM »
When first using RC I was frustrated by not being able to immediately send an email.

If no identities have been created email sending is not possible (the identity provides the From address which if missing prevents sending),
but no part of the set-up guide I followed or the interface itself told me this.

In the absence of any identities the "Sender" field for an email should contain a message like "Please create an identity. Identities are required for email sending."
as a simple method of ensuring users understand what is required of them

Offline fentex

Re: Infomation on first use
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 07:07:05 PM »
I've since noticed on a forum that RC is supposed to create a default identity on first use. This didn't happen for me.
I think I know why and it was probably a particular artifact of the way I installed RC (first on IIS but then on Apache after learning the problems with IIS and RC).

But just because I'm an unusual case does not invalidate the idea of describing eloquently a problem when using the application.
I personally (and therefore possibly someone else) needed to know that I couldn't send an email without creating an identity.

Offline petern

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 07:29:47 PM »
It is most confusing that with no identities set (it is easily possible to remove them all), I am given a text box to enter the sender address, but this is ignored with no explanation.

(That it also logs into the SMTP server, authenticates, and then resets the connection when noticing that it is not using a sender address is puzzling.)

Offline kmn

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 11:49:45 AM »
Hello,

This is something that I have raised as a bug quite sometime back. See trac #1484494.

kmn