Author Topic: SMTP Error (250): Authentication failed.  (Read 12047 times)

Offline mdixon18

SMTP Error (250): Authentication failed.
« on: June 25, 2014, 06:10:24 PM »
Well I've been fiddling aroundwith this for ages! I'm using Plesk with Roundcube, and well initially i couldn't load the roundcube mail because my DNS settings weren't correct.

I've updated them correctly and i'm able to login, recieve emails but i am unable to send mails i get this error: SMTP Error (250): Authentication failed.

I don't know what to do or where the relevant error logs are or what causes this :/

Help please :)

Thanks

Offline jwartnic

Re: SMTP Error (250): Authentication failed.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 10:30:21 PM »
You may want to check /var/log/maillog of the smtp server. You may get some insight. You may also check the "error" file associated with roundcube. I'm thinking one of the two may help you out.

Good luck.

Offline jwartnic

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 10:27:11 PM »
there's several things you can do here. Funny thing is that I just switched my roundcube to use SMTP instead of PHP. I was getting similar errors as you have displayed. I had to enable SMTP_DEBUGGING to get more information (defaults.inc.php). It helped me a bit, at least it showed me the connection was working, but the authentication was indeed failing. One thing you will see is how it's trying to authenticate (login, plain, etc) . What I found is that with my connection needed to use PLAIN in order to work. I had it set up on a the TLS port (587) so I think, and I'm no expert on this, that it should be fine. I'm also using "sendmail" (not sure what you're using). If you're still having issues, I might be able to assist. No more authentication issues. I also used: testsaslauthd  to test my sasl authentication.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 02:19:51 PM »
Please don't change setting in the defaults.inc.php copy the setting line to the config.inc.php and change it there.