Author Topic: winmail.dat  (Read 9739 times)

Offline alex_time

winmail.dat
« on: September 20, 2007, 05:15:53 AM »
When people send e-mail in RTF format or HTML with attachments, RoundCube see the file as winmail.dat. There is a way to let roundbube "decrypt" the .dat file? How can we add a plugin like "TNEF Attachment Decoder"?

Offline dano

Re: winmail.dat
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 04:22:00 PM »
Hello Alex,

This isn't a Roundcube issue it's an older version of MS Outlook issue and the best way I've found to deal with it is to educate those senders of the evils of using RTF or HTML in that version of Outlook (the winmail.dat files).

Good luck!

Offline alex_time

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 04:56:38 AM »
Quote from: dano
Hello Alex,

This isn't a Roundcube issue it's an older version of MS Outlook issue and the best way I've found to deal with it is to educate those senders of the evils of using RTF or HTML in that version of Outlook (the winmail.dat files).

Good luck!

Yes, I know that it is a Outlook issue, but you know, so many people use it and send RTF or HTML e-mails, so I think that will be a good improvement for RoundCube the possibility to include a TNEF Attachment decoder, isn't it?

Offline thisisit3

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 02:47:12 PM »
Actually, thats not entirely true. We fixed this problem in OpenWebmail (http://www.openwebmail.org) by using tnef!

TNEF: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tnef/

tnef is a little commandline tool that uncompresses winmail.data attachments, it can be used as stand-alone tool
or it can be used on-the-fly to load the attachments and display a list of available files to the user for download.

Its then possible to make RoundCube to check if tnef is installed on the server and if it is then make it use it as a layer
on top of the email attachments.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 04:40:36 PM »
Nice! Good to know, did you open a ticket for it?

Offline thomasb

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 02:20:01 AM »
Somebody sent me a patch for TNEF support a long time ago and it's almost ready now. Unfortunately I don't get any answers from the person who initially sent it to me. Could somebody else please send me a sample message to test with. Please mail directly to roundcube AT gmail DOT com.

Offline Dalman

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 12:48:29 AM »
has there been any solution to this issue yet? I have the latest version installed but i'm still having this problem?

Offline cbtrussell

winmail.dat
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 11:11:24 AM »
This appears to be unresolved, so I have sent an email with an attachment that invokes the issue to the gmail address as requested. Let me know if you need any additional info or sample messages.

Thanks!