Author Topic: new user questions  (Read 4290 times)

Offline SpartanKen

new user questions
« on: August 30, 2014, 07:01:53 PM »
First, my background: I would put my knowledge at a 3 on a scale 1-10 for web design. Anyway I bumped my head and started a small business. I started using whois.com services a little over a year ago. It has roundcube as one its 3 choices for webmail version 0.9.5. As of late Im starting to see some actual traffic and along with it, plenty of spam. I have yet to figure out how to configure the spam filters or set up the spam assassin / box trapper.

1. I see there is a newer release, is there a tutorial on how to update from my current platform?

2. Is there a tutorial to set up spam filters?

3. I see in my file manager that under the user files created mine, my wifes and one named babu... is this a standard file or do I have an intruder? I have not set up any user by this name.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: new user questions
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 08:43:38 PM »
You're going to need to ask your ISP for help since these are questions about there platform.

Offline SpartanKen

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 09:32:20 PM »
I understand the format here and your response, but like the majority of most ISP help... this does not help. ISP support is made up of people sitting in a call center (at home) reading from a card of limited canned questions.

If there is anyone here willing to help, please message me.

Thank you,

Ken

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 12:20:24 AM »
Here is the problem:
1. You can't update Roundcube because you don't have access to the files.
2. Spam filtering is isn't part of Roundcube, its handled by the mail server which varies between systems.
3. Again its not part of Roundcube, the mail storage which your referring to is handled by the mail server which varies between systems.

Its not we don't want to help but that we really can't. Your most likely using cPanel so someone in the cPanel forms maybe able to better help you but because there differences between server setups only your ISP can help.

IMHO:
If your not getting helpful support from your hosting provider why don't you move providers? There are a ton of good hosting providers with real support that would actually be helpful. I looked at your hosts site and I can tell you that one of the reasons they maybe no good at support is because they are just reselling on the LogicBox platform meaning they don't actually own or manage the server your on.

Offline SpartanKen

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 01:18:29 AM »
Now this was helpful and I appreciate it. You are correct, it is cpanel and your comments make sense.

Can you recommend a provider that I have more control? My only concern now would be getting my store/information transferred and fully operational. Back 8 years ago I used 1and1, but it was constantly down for maintenance.

Ken

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 02:52:55 PM »
The first step is to look at the hosting providers under the "Endurance International Group" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group The second step is to make sure you don't use any of them. You also want to avoid other massive hosting companies like GoDaddy and 1&1. Really large companies like that just don't offer good support. The best place to look for hosting is on Web Hosting Talk http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ its a good community where you can find the good providers and check for reviews which will let you know what your actually getting. Since your on cPanel and good provider should offer free website transfer which will take care of the painful part for you.