Author Topic: password_change for roundcubemail-0.1-rc1.1  (Read 11146 times)

Offline yuanzhou

password_change for roundcubemail-0.1-rc1.1
« on: August 02, 2007, 12:44:18 AM »
hello,I downloaded roundcubemail-0.1-rc1.1 but how can I add a password_change option to it?

I have read some topics about it,but it does't work.

anyone can help me?

regarrds!

Online SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: password_change for roundcubemail-0.1-rc1.1
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 02:02:12 AM »
This plug-in for Roundcube is to change your password in cpanel: http://roundcubeforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=42.0 But roundcube is only a frond end mail client it's not built to do functions like that.

Offline yuanzhou

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 02:06:07 AM »
my server is Postfix+Dovecot +Mysql ,I have read your article but could you tell me how could I add the change password function based on my environment?

regards!

Offline w7

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 02:20:46 AM »
But roundcube is only a frond end mail client it's not built to do functions like that.

This is, with all respect, the wrong take.

RC is an email tool, enabling users with all kinds of skills (or non-skills) to do everything they need to access and manage their email. Changing passwords is a normal and required operation; in fact, you'd expect the user to change their password at regular intervals, possibly even enforced.

Online SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 02:40:01 AM »
Quote from: w7
But roundcube is only a frond end mail client it's not built to do functions like that.

This is, with all respect, the wrong take.

RC is an email tool, enabling users with all kinds of skills (or non-skills) to do everything they need to access and manage their email. Changing passwords is a normal and required operation; in fact, you'd expect the user to change their password at regular intervals, possibly even enforced.
Yes roundcube is meant to be easy to use and set up, but its like Squirrel Mail or Thunderbird a frond-end mail client that gets your you your mail, its not meant to be a control panel like CPanel and to sever tasks.

To yuanzhou:
If you don't have cpanel on your sever then there is no plug-in to change your password true roundcube right now.

Offline w7

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 07:49:39 AM »
Yes roundcube is meant to be easy to use and set up, but its like Squirrel Mail or Thunderbird a frond-end mail client that gets your you your mail, its not meant to be a control panel like CPanel and to sever tasks.

Wrong take again, in my opinion. It is true that some other email clients also lack a "change password" facility. That doesn't make RC better, only others just as bad (with regard to that specific facility only, of course).

The "change pasword" facility is without doubt a very desirable feature for RC and other clients alike.

Offline Florianer

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 08:08:04 AM »
I have to second w7. I don't think, RC should be this basic webmailer front-end with a plenty of plug-ins and add-ons... if we have something like the cpanel as an addition to RCs' functionality, it should become core functionality as soon as possible. (Like the advanced version of the addressbook and the calendar.) I, and this is my opinion, find RC great, but I am not willing to make all these plug-in settings everytime a new svn comes out... it should be one single package with all these nice features (and maybe and option in main.php oder inside, to toggle on or off some features.
it\'s not a bug - it\'s a feature

Online SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 06:28:06 PM »
Its way to hard to put have a change password built in to roundcube because ever sever is different, you'd have to access to the sever root to install a sever mod or application. Now don't get me wrong I would love to have a option to change my password, but there is many other things that roundcube should add and fix before we go in to sever tasks.

Offline w7

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 04:43:22 AM »
SKaero, the implementation being difficult doesn't render the request invalid, does it?

I understand that a number of restraints might lead to other aspects taken care of at higher priority, and a change password facility may not make it into the release in a long time therefore. We all understand these issues.

In terms of the actual implementation, I agree this would likely be based on some server-side script. The default script would do nothing and return an error, and those who can might adjust the default code to actually perform the task at hand. I do see that this might be difficult on some systems and for some RC admins, but I don't see the difficulty in providing at least a hook for those who can.

Offline dano

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 04:24:19 PM »
There is no way that you can build in something like password change for all the different systems out there, you'd have more bloat than our most recent version of Windows if you did that ;)

Give it some time...let the developers put out a solid product as a webmail front end with a good plug architecture and then the rest will follow :)

Online SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 10:45:05 PM »
True, but the function is not one that needs be be made right now, I think that it should be a plug-in and the people who know how can install it to there sever. I think that it will be added to roundcube at some point as it is listed in the Future Release category but for the time being roundcube needs to get all of the basics down before we go in to uncharted waters.

Offline euptech

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 09:54:26 AM »
Maybe we could make a kit to allow plugin to have installs or infusion sets like phpfusion .... then a plugin would be more user friendly as RC is.. just a thought...

http://php-fusion.co.uk/news.php