Author Topic: gmail  (Read 4744 times)

Offline mrplebby

gmail
« on: October 02, 2007, 09:08:03 PM »
Why does the moderator of this board use gmail? :D

Offline tekone

Re: gmail
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 09:34:56 AM »
i have my own server, but also use a gmail account so that if the server goes down, i still have a line of communication. i like roundcube a bit better though i wish it had the threaded convo feature like gmail.

Offline mrplebby

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 07:07:44 PM »
You cannot make folders in gmail just archive your stuff, the annoying thing about this sort of project is compatability with different browsers, which roundcube has some.

I have it installed on centos 5 with devcot and works good, i tried some new skins and had problems.

Offline Bici

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 08:22:11 AM »
Hi!

Tekone: You are right!
I have read in the Planned features, that Roundcube will have Threaded message listing, wich is very good! I hope, that it not only means threaded listing, but displaying the messages like conversation, like gmail (one under the other). Crawler.com webmail also has this feature as an option.
Thunderbird, and other desktop clients does not support this feature, they only group the messages like a tree, in the list. It is not enough...

Viva La Roundcube! :D

ps: These formatting features (in this forum) are very cool, I hope full HTML formatting will include these too. ;)

Offline bpat1434

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 03:55:30 PM »
The "moderator" of this board uses gMail for a few reasons:

1.) "Unlimited" email storage. While the sender of board emails uses this server's SMTP; having gMail for the registration allows us to save millions (if not billions) of emails from users whom we've activated.

2.) Registration emails (and assumingly notification emails) don't seem to be received by everyone. Many overseas hosts block US IP addresses (for what reason, I'm not sure). gMail; however, doesn't seem to be blocked. So gMail offers us an easy way to know we're getting emails out to you (unless your inbox is full, as some people's accounts are :( )

3.) Thomas uses a gMail account because before this forum was here, all requests and bugs were put in to him. So he had a nice large mailbox to receive his roundcube emails. Not to mention that it saves him from actually divulging his true email address.

Hope that explains some things to you. gMail is not the devil, and it works almost everywhere while personal SMTP servers (because certain people can't secure their own servers) are blocked.