Author Topic: Thinking about a few features  (Read 6102 times)

Offline benw

Thinking about a few features
« on: October 04, 2007, 03:03:30 PM »
Hey everybody,

Great job on Roundcube! I like it so much I actually switched hosting providers to one with IMAP support just so I could run it.

Anyway, I've converted over from GMail due to privacy concerns, and I really like the interface better than GMail's, which I never thought could be possible. There's a few features, though, that I would really get a lot of use out of. I was planning to code the features myself. What I'd like to know is 1) if anybody is already working on these features, and 2) if they're features the developers would want integrated into the base Roundcube package or if I should wait until the plugin API is completed.

My wishlist is:

1) The ability to mark multiple messages or as 'read'.

2) The ability to 'fulltext' search messages- I don't know enough about the IMAP standard to know if this is possible, but I was considering setting up a hash database in MySQL that the search function could reference. Based on my testing, it should be lightning fast into the the thousands of messages.

3) The ability to "flag" important messages so they don't get buried in the inbox. This could be added cleanly to the interface maybe by after "Select: All Unread None" at the bottom have "Mark: Read Unread Flag" ?

4) The ability to add more "quick move" buttons, for example have the option to add a button like the delete button, only it moves the message into a folder other than trash. (this should probably wait to be a plugin)

5) The ability to integrate a javascript Jabber client (this one would probably be best saved for the plugin feature too)

6) The ability to permanently remember your login until you sign out (using cookies).

7) The ability to have it always display images in emails from specific senders

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Ben

Offline vanbroup

Re: Thinking about a few features
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 06:28:07 AM »
Quote from: benw
1) The ability to mark multiple messages or as 'read'.
Could be verry functional!

2) The ability to 'fulltext' search messages- I don't know enough about the IMAP standard to know if this is possible, but I was considering setting up a hash database in MySQL that the search function could reference. Based on my testing, it should be lightning fast into the the thousands of messages.
This will take a lot of database storage, but ok.. I would like the option!

3) The ability to "flag" important messages so they don't get buried in the inbox. This could be added cleanly to the interface maybe by after "Select: All Unread None" at the bottom have "Mark: Read Unread Flag" ?
:), should be verry nice (with a visual display in the message overview)

4) The ability to add more "quick move" buttons, for example have the option to add a button like the delete button, only it moves the message into a folder other than trash. (this should probably wait to be a plugin)
Could be a plugin, I would probable not use the plugin ;)

5) The ability to integrate a javascript Jabber client (this one would probably be best saved for the plugin feature too)
This can also be a plugin function, but is not a real webmail function? (and so far I know Roundcube is no groupware application, I hope it will stay no groupware!!!)

6) The ability to permanently remember your login until you sign out (using cookies).
Permanently??, create a cookie session timer, the max value for this timer must be set in the main config file by the administrator. The user can set it's own preference.

7) The ability to have it always display images in emails from specific senders
Yes!, nice option!!

Offline benw

Re: Thinking about a few features
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 12:03:45 PM »
Thanks for your words. I wrote a patch a couple weeks back for the "always display images from known senders" and uploaded it to the trac. The fulltext searching was shot down by the devlist, though you can already do kind of that through IMAP if you search "body:whatever"

When I get some time, I'll be providing some more patches.