Author Topic: Plugin documentation/tutorial  (Read 4645 times)

Offline troycarpenter

Plugin documentation/tutorial
« on: September 06, 2014, 11:52:13 PM »
Hi,

I've used Roundcube since it was adopted into the Kolab suite.  However, I find that I now need to write a plugin to add functionality in Roundcube that I currently get from another web package on my server that allows me to manipulate data in a database.  I'm looking for a simple solution to provide menu like functionality on the left side, data on the right, and maybe some function buttons along the top above the menu.  I do want this integrated into the look and feel of the Larry skin.  I've got no problem with the meat-and-potatoes programming of the plugin, it's integrating it visually with the rest of the system that I'm spinning my wheels on.

I've been able to add my program button to the taskbar, but that's about as far as I've gotten.  The online tutorial only provides minimal information and doesn't even show how to create a plugin end-to-end including the use of php, javascript, css, html templates, etc.  (I did to a forum search and this seems to be a common question/complaint and probably a big deterrent to plugin writers).  If there's a simple plugin that shows how to use the graphical elements like left side menu buttons (similar to the settings panel) along with how to create the handlers for the menu functions, please point me to it.

Thanks in advance

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: Plugin documentation/tutorial
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 12:27:59 AM »
I don't know of any more detailed tutorials then the one that Roundcube has, the best thing to do is look at existing plugins and see how they do it.

Offline troycarpenter

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 09:20:27 PM »
I've copied parts of various Kolab plugins thus far, but I've ended up with a hodgepodge of code that I don't know if it's necessary or not.  Their interfaces are much more complex than what I need.  I've been looking for a simple plugin that creates a menu on the left and an output pane on the right, but nothing jumps out.  For my part, I'm an application programmer, not a web programmer, so I've not learned the ins and outs of javascripts/css/ajax and the like.  Looks like I need to start learning that side of the house.

I will keep looking and trying things.  I'll eventually get it, but I was hoping to shortcut by having a plugin that already does something similar so I could copy.

Thanks.

Offline alec

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 02:15:09 AM »
Kolab plugins are complicated indeed. Take a look at password plugin.