Author Topic: Using round cube for commercial purposes  (Read 4139 times)

Offline suntankid

Using round cube for commercial purposes
« on: November 03, 2014, 04:41:17 AM »
Hi

I'm developing a business application for which thousands of users will get independent licenses and will pay a monthly fee to run their business on the site

I wish to put an email client on the site. Rather than build from scratch, and having researched whats out there, I wondered whether one can use round cube for commercial purposes and if so what would the cost be?

The idea would be to use round cube as the email client but the actual mail will be hosted on their own servers  popped or imap to round cube on our site

Thanks

Guy S

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: Using round cube for commercial purposes
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 06:29:50 AM »
Roundcube is licensed under the GPLv3 see http://roundcube.net/license/ for details. If you have any questions about the license feel free to ask.

Offline suntankid

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 09:14:33 AM »
Thanks
What then are the particular restrictions we would face.
We put roundcube on our business application
emails remain on respective servers but round cube is the client
people pay to use our application and will use round cube for their mail
Is that okay? Do we pay you anything?
Surely there must be some cost if we are benefitting from roundcube
Of course we show roundcube logo and appropriate acknowledgements but what beyond that?
Guy S

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 04:45:50 PM »
Is Roundcube going to be hosted on there servers or on yours? Are you going to distribute Roundcube in any way or will you host it and offer it as a service?

Offline suntankid

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 12:37:41 PM »
Thank you

The plan is we host it on our servers and offer it as a service. We have developed a calendar, tasks, all sorts of goodies to run a small or medium sized business. Users will use the site hosted on our servers. So roundcube will be on our servers available for use to all who pay us to use our system. Most users will not be using our email client I assume but I want to be able to offer it.

So we use roundcube on our site and users of the site use it as their mail client if they wish.  Its all on our servers therefore

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 04:15:58 PM »
In that case since your not actually distributing Roundcube you don't face any usability restrictions and you don't need to pay anything to use Roundcube. As for showing the Roundcube logo it maybe better to change it and just have a "Powered by Roundcube" statement (not required) since end users often get confused and try to come here for support. The best way to help Roundcube is to stay active in the community, test pre-releases, report any bug that you find, and if you have the resources contribute code. For more information see: http://roundcube.net/contribute/

Welcome to the wonderful world of Free Software!