Author Topic: Re-Shuffle Attachments Online  (Read 6511 times)

Offline rico666

Re-Shuffle Attachments Online
« on: January 12, 2015, 07:47:09 AM »
Hi,

we're using roundcube for a highly decentralised group of employees and are very satisfied with it.

There is, however, one use case where this online solution has serious drawbacks and we would like to submit a feature request (or ask for workarounds).

The problem is interaction with what we call "Obsessive-Outlook-Email-Attachment-Bashers". Imagine the following scenario:

* UserA, UserB and UserC all fall into this OOEAB category. There is also UserR - our poor fellow roundcube user.
 * basically UserR sits in between, like UserA, UserB -> UserR -> UserC
 * UserA and UserB send UserR several emails, each loaded with some megabytes of attachments.
 * UserC furthermore requests from UserR these attachments aggregated - possibly in a ZIP - in the Mails UserR sends to UserC

Right now, poor UserR has to download all of these attachments through his poor home office internet connection and then upload them through his even poorer upload bandwidth to the mail he writes to userC.

It would be great if roundcube offered some nifty drag and drop way to re-shuffle attachments (copy or move) from some emails to a newly created mail online, on-server, without the need to download/upload them.

I believe it would make UserR very happy.

cheers,
   Rico

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: Re-Shuffle Attachments Online
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 09:41:41 AM »
Since the attachment would need to be saved somewhere on the server I think its unlikely such a feature would be added to Roundcube. It could be accomplished with a plugin, something like OwnCloud would work good for this so you could save the attachment to OwnCloud and then "upload" from OwnCloud so the file never had to be downloaded to the users computer.

Offline alec

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 11:26:45 AM »
That's one solution. I can imagine another option - of course possible as a plugin.

I'd call it "attachment cache". When you open a message in attachment menu (opened with the down-arrow on the right of attachment name) you'd have two options "Add to cache" and "Remove from cache". Then in compose you could have a button "From cache" which would open a dialog with list of "cached" attachments to select. The cache would store only attachment location and name. The data of the attachment would be loaded (server-side) when you attach the file from cache in compose.

There's maybe a better name for this feature. A "cache" might be not the best choice for average user.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 02:27:43 PM »
It could be called something like Attachment Transfer. Would the attachment cache be session only?

Offline alec

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 02:49:45 AM »
Yes, I think session would be fine for this. I'm not sure about "transfer" maybe "clipboard" would be more understandable.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 03:40:04 AM »
Agreed I "clipboard" would be easier to understand.

Offline rico666

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 05:35:16 AM »
Is there any progress on this - maybe a plugin existing already?

So far the only progress we could make to help UserR was a better internet connection (Upload bandwidth), but at the same time, the attachments grew bigger in the past 2 years, so the usability has not improved significantly.

A on-server "Roundcube clipboard" would be perfect IMHO. We would have no problem providing that storage space on the server.