Author Topic: CAN ONLY CONNECT TO INCOMING SERVER BUT NOT OUTGOING SERVER  (Read 4549 times)

Offline chris sterling

CAN ONLY CONNECT TO INCOMING SERVER BUT NOT OUTGOING SERVER
« on: February 19, 2015, 08:28:55 AM »
I am very confused as I have been using Outlook to send and receive emails from the office i used to work at, now i work from home using a different ISP Provider, i know all the setting in Outlook are fine when i am in the office, as outlook connects to both incoming and outgoing servers just fine, when i come home I can only receive emails through outlook but get an error message when trying to connect to outgoing server???

Send test e-mail message: Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

I have spoken with my ISP provider and they suggested a different port number (587) but I know the port number 25 worked just fine i really am stuck and could use some help

thanks in advance,

chris.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: CAN ONLY CONNECT TO INCOMING SERVER BUT NOT OUTGOING SERVER
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 10:20:18 AM »
Its common for residential ISP's to block port 25. Check with your mail provider (not your ISP) what SMTP ports they support.

Offline chris sterling

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 11:48:42 AM »
my email provider is webmail . gridhost .co . uk but there is no way of contacting them apart from this forum as far as i can tell?? Spoken to ISP provider they suggested port 587..didn't connect to outgoing server still.

I appreciate you trying to help.

really annoying as I have to send emails through webmail . gridhost . co . uk and you just cannot compose html emails as easily as you can in outlook or thunderbird, even just inserting an image is really complicated , you have to type a URL address for every image and i know that is probably quite simple i don't know how to do it, and plus I have several email addresses with same provider, for the same site/business which obviously i would prefer to have in outlook simultaneously.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 05:12:33 PM »
It seem like it maybe a good time to move providers then. I wouldn't stay with a provider that I couldn't contact.

Offline chris sterling

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 06:05:27 AM »
you may be right my friend, do you think that if the office i used to work in where i initially set up my outlook to use my email accounts, has a static IP address would this then cause a problem for me to connect to the outgoing server for my mail provider, baring in mind that my outlook connects to incoming server anywhere I am?

Would appreciate any constructive suggestions, and reserve changing my mail provider as a last resort.

thanks.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 01:24:32 PM »
Typically ISP block the standard SMTP ports on residential connections but not on business connections. A static IP may or may not be part of the business package.