Author Topic: Larry for small wide screens (FREE) for RC 1.X  (Read 12133 times)

Offline Coroneln

Larry for small wide screens (FREE) for RC 1.X
« on: September 01, 2014, 03:14:43 AM »
Hi  first of all i would like to say Roundcube is an excellent mail client!
And the default Larry skin is very nicely made!

However in small wide screens there is a lot of horizontal space used poorly and in small netbooks or tablets like the surface it hinders mail processing.

In example an Acer aspire ONE you will be able to see 3 mails in the top panel and about 1/3 of 1 email body in the bottom panel, in a Surface PRO 1 it is even less.

An Ipad 3 does better (5 mails on top about 3/5 of 1 mail body)

I did my best effort to recover some space by removing the header bar and repositioning the buttons around.

It is not perfect as for some reason each browser behaves differently on each device and i did not have more devices to test it with, but it does the job.

You can download it on my site (Help blog in rockdio.org) : Larry for tablets

If you have suggestions,  run into a problem or you like it say it there please.

If you know RC better than I do (not difficult) and decide to modify it to make it better please share your results with the community.

Cheers!
N
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 03:40:42 AM by Coroneln »

Offline flowergeek

Re: Larry for small wide screens (FREE) for RC 1.X
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 04:51:11 AM »
Nice job, thou in pc mode when resolution is 1920x1200 and the windows is resized sometimes the buttons overlap on the side.

But something i really liked is that in my iPad it detects when it is in portrait and adapts nicely, I also liked the folders button the hides the folders and gives more reading space on portrait.

Definitevely a must for tablets, but can you please look at the problems with desktop pcs please? (I know that i can resize the window to fit better but it is a bit annoying)

Offline mckaygerhard

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 01:38:17 PM »
the larry skin can be modified to autodetect browser and redirects to this skin if tablet or small screens are detecte, any ideas? it seem that ioogle does that..

the litecube skin from roundcubeskins.net does that (of course the movile skin part are removed from sources),

i suggests put this as a part of larry and made that redirection on detected

Offline Coroneln

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 05:57:07 AM »
I hope the creator of larry takes this into account.

I am aware of the small bugs on desktop mode, but solving them was beyond my undersanding of the round cube template. I made this available in the hope someone with better RC understanding wants to develop it more.

Some day programmers will undertand that nowdaways screens are very wide and that a 11" 16:10 aspect ratio screen cannot accomodate any horizontal bar
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 12:05:08 PM by Coroneln »

Offline mckaygerhard

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 11:46:44 AM »
i found that litecube skin comes with a plugin that performs detection of movile clients, and redirect to a listed propietary skins... i dont like propietary skins...

if any can show me how to hack that plugin with some hack can does redirection to the larry for small wide screens i made such feature... of some thing with more understanding does it?

ping?

Offline Coroneln

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 12:02:50 PM »
I just checked my folder and have no plugins in larry's folder...

Can you point to the plugin so i can take a look?

On the other hand if whoever made Larry wants to use whatever mods i did they are more than welcome, i just want a functional RC skin not the glory :D

Offline Coroneln

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 03:31:45 PM »
mckaygerhard

If you install the plugin you referred to me (the RCS_SKINS) you can choose in the settings of round cube any skin you have installed for Desktop, Tablet or Phone individually.

It took me some time try it and reply to you as i have been busy with the arrival of my first son.

Offline mckaygerhard

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 12:27:03 AM »
hi Coroneln sorry me too for late response, i already have a son too.. good for you

i used for that solution the melanie2 mobile and the jquery mobile dupla from melanie2 skin project, modified with some hacks and use the melanie skyn as base..

so on any pother skin i have a button to swict (that¡s what i want), and now i working to autodetec the browser type

note: i sued very older browser and support very older OS and hardware, also in my company (1000 users) we dont supporet gundows... only mac and linux