Author Topic: "Not" symbol in Read Status column?  (Read 4768 times)

Offline smeet

"Not" symbol in Read Status column?
« on: April 08, 2015, 02:06:59 PM »
I've just started seeing some emails in the message list with the "NOT" symbol (circle with a diagonal line through it) in the Read Status column. The messages are greyed out, and they are all spam.  If it matters, I've been using spam assassin for years to try to catch spam, but I haven't seen these greyed out NOT emails before.  I'm sure I'm being dense, but what does it mean?

Thanks!

Offline alec

Re: "Not" symbol in Read Status column?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 02:53:57 PM »
They are marked as deleted but not expunged. Some clients delete messages, but not expunge them immediately, e.g. Thunderbird.

Offline smeet

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 05:29:48 PM »
Thanks Alec.

I use  Roundcube web mail from work, and iPhone/Mac mail at home.   I get a lot of mail, and these greyed messages have never appeared before, in at least 5 years, and I haven't changed any settings.

Also, I can't understand why these mails would have been deleted to begin with.  Spam Assassin is configured to put spam into a spam folder, not to delete them.

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 07:20:05 PM »
Deletion is not the only operation that causes this, a move can do it also.

Regardless of how long things haven't changed, what you are seeing is non-expunged messages that are no longer located in the folder where you see the grayed info. Some client or other IMAP process has either moved or deleted them, but has not cleaned up after itself. Either in the clients you use at home, or in how processes are run on the IMAP server.

In my experience, this is almost always caused by other clients.
Arne Berglund
SysAdmin, Internet Services
Lane Education Service District
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline alec

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 02:19:48 AM »
And there's a setting in Roundcube "Server Settings" to not display such messages.

Offline geekgal

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 07:59:23 PM »
I came across this same issue with Apple's Mail app and found a solution for those still looking for an answer.

The issue is related to the rule settings set up by the user on the Apple Mail side. For example, my user had set up several rules to move them to a specific folder, that specific folder was created under the iCloud account instead of the Roundcube account. The rules effectively "moved" the specific emails to that subfolder on iCloud (really they were copied as you can't move them between email clients) and because they were "moved" the originals were then deleted off the server. This is why they had the "NOT" sign and were all grayed out and why no one received them as they effectively skipped the inbox.

I did find my user's "missing" emails in the subfolder on the iCloud account and was able to move them back to the inbox, however, you will notice this creates a duplicate. This is because they have essentially been recopied to the original server. To prevent this issue, the user just needs to be aware of setting up folders and rules between Mail Accounts. Rules will work if the user targets folders under the appropriate account.

I hope this helps!