Author Topic: Preview is faster with gmail web interface  (Read 5690 times)

Offline brunodegoyrans

Preview is faster with gmail web interface
« on: May 18, 2015, 09:43:41 AM »
Hi

I have installed roundcube on my server but I have configured it to access GMAIL imap server.

I have noticed that preview message is much faster on gmail webmail than on roundcube.

It becomes annoying when I delete messages. Because roundcube does an access to gmail imap server, and it takes time. So when I have to delete big amount of messages, it takes time.
With gmail webmail,  this is much faster.

Does anybody also notice that difference?
Is there a way to...?

Offline brunodegoyrans

Re: Preview is faster with gmail web interface
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 07:54:42 AM »
I just have launched a POL about this issue.

If the issue is confirmed, some accurate measurings should be done in order to see if Roundcube could be optimized,
But it might also come from GOOGLE imap server that would make server faster or slower whether it is accessed from GOOGLE or ROUNDCUBE webmail?
Would be an interesting thing to know. Seems illegal, no?

Offline alec

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 11:18:34 AM »
Gmail webmail most likely is not using IMAP protocol. That's the difference, there are probably more including some caches, etc.

Offline brunodegoyrans

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 12:45:41 PM »
Gmail webmail most likely is not using IMAP protocol. That's the difference, there are probably more including some caches, etc.

Hi and thanks

What protocol does google use?
Is IMAP protocol always slow or is it the google IMAP server that is slow?

THANKS  :)

Offline brumc

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 11:20:02 PM »
Hi,

What we do know is that google uses allot (and really allot) of proprietary stuff, they even invented their own filesystem. On top of that they throw an enormous amount of hardware and caching agsint their mail systems. I totally doubt you could ever make a client faster then google. But who knows..

second question : google imap is always blazing fast i migrate allot of email off google through imap and it goes super fast. Never seen any trouble with imap. You can however optimize roundcube and imap as described in some docs. (caching : memcached, some other php modules,, imap proxy etc..) and most important good hardware (not implying anything g just summing up), but i am sure there are experts here far better then me that can explain that.

Offline angelgandoy

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 02:54:00 PM »
Hello,

Excuse me, can you send me the links where is the docs you say yo can optimize roundcube and imap as described in some docs. (caching : memcached, some other php modules,, imap proxy etc..).

Thanks, is very important for us.

Regards

Angel