Author Topic: Sorting emails in folders IN SUBJECT & DATE ORDER!  (Read 4462 times)

Offline ausworkshop

Sorting emails in folders IN SUBJECT & DATE ORDER!
« on: October 05, 2015, 11:12:23 PM »
I've been using Roundcube for a month or so.  Trying to make the move after using Outlook for years.
I'm having trouble getting my head around a few things.
For example, I can organise my emails into folders then arrange them by subject.  Then when I view through the group of emails for that particular subject trying to read the conversation I notice it is not organised in date order, they are all over the place.  How do I simply arrange my emails from customers in an orderly fashion so I can read back through the conversation in the order that they arrived/sent.

I have wasted hours trying to use Roundcube and am about to give up, it seems to be wasting more time than Outlook.  All I want to do is read all the emails from one particular customer, including my responses in order of which they were written.  Even if I arrange by subject this does not always group them all together, especially if that subject line has been changed by the customer.  I have no way of editing the subject for individual emails or a whole group of emails.

The basic function of email is to communicate back and forth with someone.  Why do I still find it so difficult to keep all the emails grouped together for one particular customer/subject? It's been driving me nuts for years. How do bigger businesses cope? I'm only a one man business and I waste hours each week with such a scrambled mess of an email system. I need to use a better system, I have no idea where to start.
Do I need to create individual subfolders within my product folders for each individual customers email chain?
I will end up having a large amount of folders if I have to do that, then I will not be able to search for a particular email unless I know which folder it is in to start with.

It is doing my head in but I need to find a solution before the Christmas rush or I won't be able to cope. I don't get paid to sit here doing emails for 3 days a week. I need a more efficient system.  Should I try Google mail for business? Was hoping to find a free solution.

Offline BroadwayLion

Re: Sorting emails in folders IN SUBJECT & DATE ORDER!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 04:43:08 PM »
Is the base server an IMAP server? RoundCube is litter more than an application to read the messages on your IMAP server. If the permissions on the IMAP server that you are using do not permit you to write to that drive, you will not get changes to stick in RoundCube. It could be a problem but might not be a problem. The problem is if you make changes in Round Cube, you could change them again when you use another email client on that account.

All of that stuff said, RoundCube does work like any other email client, you can click on the title bar over each column to sort by that column either ascending or descending. There is also a search box in the upper right corner of your inbox. Put a name in there and it will pull up just the letters to/from that account.

It seems easy enough for me for what it does.

ROAR

Offline ausworkshop

Re: Sorting emails in folders IN SUBJECT & DATE ORDER!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 10:14:38 PM »
I have no idea, I just started using it when I moved my website to a new host.  I can't even resize column widths at the moment. And when I'm typing a new email the ends of sentences are off the screen, there seems to be no way to scroll over to view the missing words, the scroll bar isn't there when I'm typing an email.  Seems there are just far too many annoying things that I can't find solutions for.

My partner is now complaining about the format of all the emails, she hates it as well, when we read back through the previous conversation it's scrambled, has all these > down the side. Paragraph ends are removed, there is no consistent spacing in the way we send it out. It's un usable, I don't know how anyone can put up with all this. I'm so over all these technical problems. I just need to be able to read emails from my customers, extract the information I need, print them an invoice then get back to work. Hoping i'll find an easy to use system one day. Emails have been around long enough now, the geeks should get it right. Is it too much to ask?